Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Roadliner Suspension

12K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Boatloser 
#1 ·
Hello. Does anyone make an aftermarket rear shock for the Roadliner? Does anyone make a better spring set for the front? My '09 Roadliner suspension is horrible...the only thing that I don't like about it! The front is very mushy and has too much sag. The rear is just either too soft and wallowy or too hard and bouncy. I would like to see an adjustable rear shock with rebound and compression adjustment made for them. Not every cruiser owner is a big fat guy with a bunch of accessories and luggage and riding a big fat chick on the back! If I seem a little irritated...sorry but I'm hating the suspension on my beautiful red Roadliner S. Star seems to have paid more attention to paint and chrome than actual ride quality. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#12 ·
Progressive 465-1159 is the Warrior Shock with the 800-1200 lb progressive spring. This upgrade is the best $337 dollars anyone can spend on the bike. When riding two up the sponginess feeling is gone, no more freedom exhaust bottoming out and even makes it feel more stable in the turns with a firm feel. We have some rough roads locally and with the factory shock it would sometimes bounce me out of the seat and now that is gone as well.

#13 · (Edited)
I think Momma should spank your ass and send you home.

Sorry, but i find your suspension issue's to be confusing to me. the bike seems to foot the bill as it was designed to do. it's not a sport bike. My Stratoliner has given my zero problems, does not seem overly soft in the front compared to other bikes in its class and the rear has been smooth and comfy. it is very smooth riding. it handles great with no wiggles, jiggles or any other strange movement. it has never ever done anything that would be detrimental to my life like a lot of other bikes i have ridden with. and in fact the suspension is rock solid and i push it to its limits all the time. the suspension has saved me from my own stupidity when i overdrive the conditions and for a factory suspension it seems to work perfectly. the brakes haul it down hard and fast so i have little issue with the way the bike is. sure, anything can be improved to suit your taste or riding style but to say the bike is awful is very far from the truth. I actually find the bad comment pretty disrespectful of such a fine motorcycle. Maybe you should go buy a harley, or a Victory. How about a Honda VTX1800. yeah, i think when you look at the big picture the stock suspension is really pretty damn good when you look at what you get from the competition. My brothers HD softail wobbles like crazy at 100 MPH and wobbles in the corners to the point i freak out riding behind him. yet you are going to knock a bike that has never given anyone any grief other than you weight 98 lbs and the bike seems over sprung harsh and stiff? I weigh 185 and the bike has been fine and even with the wife on the back has worked really well. I think momma Yamaha should bitch slap you and take your bike away. make you ride some POS so you realize what you have got. make be your skills are lacking? i dont know. some guys need to alter this stuff just so they can ride as well as i can and keep up with me. But this is not about me. it's about bad mouthing a very fine motorcycle that has hit great balance with all riding styles. and i'll say it again, yes anything can be improved with aftermarket shocks, springs and so on, but to say this bike has a POS suspension, is really bad, and is totally wrong in every way. just my honest opinion

#15 ·
Well I guess even fat boys have an opinion as well. And if every bike was perfect for every riding style the aftermarket business would not exist the way it does today. I to believe the Stratoliner is one of the best bikes out there today and handles like a dream, but for me it was just fine tuning an already great machine.

Life is hard. Even harder when you are stupid. John Wayne

#17 ·
Well I'm the big fat guy with lots of accessories. I still think the suspension needs work, but it's certainly doesn't suck.

PCS has a progressive spring that will help in the rear. There is a shock Kit
Too which someone else mentioned.

I want to stiffen my front springs this winter but that's mostly to protect my front fender from the crashbar after my 21" wheel upgrade.

#18 ·
I realize this is an old topic but as for installing the 465 -1159 warrior shock on a liner does it raise the ride height any? Anyone have preload set with 800/1200 spring where ride is firm but yet accomodates a load of about 460 lbs loaded? Just trying to decide which is best way to go. I ride mainly solo but with wife and full baggage its a load

#19 ·
Just want to put my two cents in. Ditto and well said Mr The Brain. I think exactly like you about this bike. In fact I think with two up the rear gets softer and the ride gets more comfortable. Or maybe its knowing my wife body is close but what a fantastic well thought out motorcycle. I like your way of thinking and how you explained everything man forums are great!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.