Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

(Noob) Planning my build - Fairing questions

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  tj1964c90 
#1 ·
Looking toward springtime mods...

1) does the new Strat fairing fit my 2007-era windshield brackets, I.e. "Pop&Lock" system?

2) are there any aftermarket fairings that are made for my pop&lock?

3) has anyone been able to mod a fairing to work with the pop&block?

I REALLY want to keep this feature, both for convenience and security reasons.

Thanks!

/Radar/

#2 ·
No answers yet.

I'll say no to your questions, it appears that each fairing maker has different mounting methods. I purchased the Memphis shades batwing several years ago and had to buy the MS attachment brackets also. they mounted to the bike in place of the stock Yamaha brackets. The ones I got are quick remove types. Although you need long arms to reach the two latches, no locking setup on them. I could drill and put a small padlock on one side if needed, but three years later, never had a problem with it coming lose. I pull it off to clean the giant headlight bucket area and things you can't see with a fairing installed.

I found that I need to clean the latches once in awhile also as they get stuck with the typical dust and road grime. I pull it off several times a year to inspect the bushings just in case. Have fun modding you're bike.

#3 ·
Thanks, it seems to be the answer I'm hearing a lot. It just seems like it would be an easy fab to get a faring to work with the Yamaha amounts considering how straightforward they are.
I'm glad you said that you take your faring off to clean the front of your bike. The first question I've been getting from anyone I ask about a removable fairing is, "why would you ever take the faring off once it's installed?" And my reply is usually that "I like options!" :)

#4 ·
Being able to pull the fairing is a good thing.

If you ever have a problem inside the headlight bucket, it's nice to be able to pop the fairing off and set it in a safe place, it sits perfect on the bottom edges, just watch the wind or drafts. It's probably money that says why everyone makes their own brackets for their products. But none of the aftermarket bracket sets cost as much as the Yamaha set. You will still get head buffets, from the air blasting in from below the fairing, on each side of the fuel tank. I added the MS lowers and also a set of bucks lowers. Now it's all calm behind the fairing. I'm using a 14 inch Clearview fairing with the recurved top edge. Works like a charm, as I'm 6'6" tall.

#5 ·
Noob, the Wide Open Custom fairing uses the OEM Yamaha quick disconnect system. They have an option for a lock so it can't be walked off with.

#6 ·
Thanks guys, good info!

#7 ·
Best fairing for a Roadliner

I'm looking at fairings and trying to decide which is the best one for fit and quality. The one's I'm looking at are Arkady, Quadzilla, Premeux, and Wide Open. Any comments would be helpful. Is it better to buy all audio from the vendor? What about painting to the bike's colour? I'm in Canada so anything from the U.S. I get hit with the exchange.

#8 ·
A Batwing is on my list of things to get over the winter. I too would like to know why there is such a huge price difference in for example a Memphis Shades and Hoppe (Quadzilla). A grand is allot of scratch between them. Is it the cost of the stereo in this particular case.

As a pure Batwing, no music, who makes the best and who makes the one offering the best value?

I'm inclined to stick to Memphis Shades as I already have a MS Fats windshield and the brackets on the bike would not need changing. Quick release IMO is worth it to clean the bike and personally, in hot weather I ride with no shield of any kind as I think it looks good and I like to feel the wind.

But I don't want junk on my Liner either.

#9 ·
I agree, my first priority is to have a batwing that disconnects as easily as the factory windshield. I think that the big money on the quad Zila is based on the stereo. I can do a stereo much better, for much less money myself, as that is something that I am very knowledgeable in. I can do a full stereo with amp and the works for about $500 that will blow their system away. You make everything with a quick disconnect, and you're golden!

#10 ·
What's the best batwing without a stereo?

If we take the stereo out of the equation assuming you'll put it in yourself is there a clear winner? I guess Quadzilla is out cause it comes with audio and besides $1800 U.S. is pretty steep. I believe that Premeux, Arkady and Wide Out can be bought without the stereo. So which one exhibits quality and a pleasing shape?

And when you order the batwing you can get them primed and ready for paint or get them painted by the mfg. your bike's colour. So which is better - primed and ready for paint or painted your finished colour? Which is cheaper? Not really sure what it would cost to paint the inner and outside fairing.

#12 ·
For what it's worth...I just finished installing a stereo system on my brothers heritage. He picked up a used fairing for $200 and his neighbor painted it go match the bike. We picked up a Dual stereo with USB & Bluetooth for $115. It came with a remote that we mounted on the left switch assembly. Harley sells a patch cable for the 12vdc & switched power for radio. I found a 3 wire connector that I mounted to the bottom of fairing so he can remove it and disconnect power. So far he's had a blast with it.

#13 · (Edited)
And that's ^^^^^^ really the way to do motorcycle stereo in my opinion...cheap and convenient! On a motorcycle you'll never hear the difference in audio quantifiers like you can in a car or house (things like channel separation, total harmonic distortion, signal-to-noise ratios, etc.), but you will definitely be bummed if you can't use the controls with riding gloves on or it can't read and play your favorite playlist from the iPhone in your pocket! :)

#14 ·
I purchased mine from Reckless Motorcycle Fairings in Tennessee. It mounts to the Yamaha windshield mounts. Comes complete with stereo options and paint color matched to your bike. When I purchased mine it was around 1200 total. However, I have had issues with my stereo head and they did not help me with that. They told me to call the stereo manuf. Otherwise, I am very happy with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.