Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Tank out of the way; what else while I'm in here?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Sportsmanphil 
#1 ·
I removed, or at least moved to the side, my gas tank in order to clean the K&N filters on my big air kit. Is there anything else I should do while I've got it all disassembled?

#3 ·
(Without my owners manual right now...)

Replacement interval for the plugs??

#6 ·
it's a pain in the butt.

Well, I ran my plugs until they had 3 yrs & 33,000 miles on them. they worked great the whole time and would have kept on going for another 5 - 10K if needed in a pinch. the electrode was worn and the gap was big from wear at 33k. the inside plugs are some what of a pain in the ass but you only need to really change the plugs every three years from wear. other than the air cleaner and spark plugs there isn't really anything to do except for one thing. drain the fluid from the air box drain tubes on the left side under the chrome cover. thats not really even under the tank but a maintenance thing people including myself forget about. there was a huge amount of K&N filter oil in my drain tubes. I soak my filter liberally with the K&N filter oil. this ends up in the air box but because of the design it just sits there. it doesn't get sucked into the throttle bodies because the venturis are higher than the air box floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.