Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Buying used, things to look out for?

8K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Larry Gude 
#1 · (Edited)
I am 97% sure a Roadliner will be my next bike, though I am a little nervous about the number of them out there with very low miles.
Why do so many get rid of such a nice bike after only 3,000 (plus or minus) miles on them?
Are there any things I should watch out for?

#2 ·
I don't think it's a reliability issue of any sort. There's tons of bikes of any sort on craigslist with low mileage. Truth is a lot of people just don't ride them as much as they think they would. It's sad really.

I think you can talk to anyone around any board and they'll tell you they love the bike.

#3 ·
Thanks. I'm not new to used bike shopping but it looks to me like an abynormal number of barely used Roadliners. Don't see many nice late low-mile late Road StarsSilverado 1700s. I'm extra nervous because I've never had a "cruiser". Have had "standards", sport bikes, dirt bikes, and a Buell. No more crotch rockets, no plastic-clad sport tourer like the FJR, no more chain drive, Harley's aren't worth the cost, and I don't want something like a Gold Wing.
It's been a process of elimination to get where I'm at.

#4 ·
A large contingency of metric cruiser buyers really wanted a Harley and when they can afford a Harley they jump ship or after their Harley friends brow-beat them into the cult. That and the economy has forced a lot of people to sell toys.

#5 ·
I also know people who have bought bikes and after a few months do not ride them as much as they thought they would, so they sell them off thinking the expense can not be justified.

I have seen several manufacturers American makes included, that have shockingly low mileage for sale by private sellers. I really do not believe it is inherent to one make or model of motorcycle.

People buy them thinking they may have more time to ride than they can, the weather will always be perfect for riding and equipment/clothing/insurance is a small expense. Then they realize one day perhaps it is just not for them. They want to sell the asset before it depreciates further, just sitting around in the garage. Here you have the perfect equation for a low mileage motorcycle sale.

#6 ·
That's just the nature of bikes. Some people like to ride, some people love to ride, some people are fanatical riders. Two coworkers recently bought used bikes...one is 2002 HD/EG that had a whopping 2,300 miles on it and the other a 2005 Honda GW that had just over 5,ooo miles. The previous owners just used their bikes as an occasional toy. I've worked with another guy almost three years and I've never ever seen his bike...swears he has a HD Roadking. Truth be known I think he had a close call and is now leary of riding but doesn't want to sell his bike...likes being known as a "biker" though as I'm sure is the case with a lot of folks. But on the other end of the spectrum the local HD dealership has 2009 Ultra Classic with 103,000 miles on it. That guy was a fanatical rider! Liners have a very good reputation for reliabiltiy and low cost of ownership (compared to HD), so I wouldn't sweat it.

#7 ·
Thanks folks...I'm getting there.
Are there any known fuel injection/computer issues?
Any new model issues on the 2006/2007 models?
Have there been no mechanical/electrical/computer changes since the original model? Only thing I have found is easing back on the Art-Deco trim.

#8 ·
As far as I know, the Yammy FI system is pretty bullet proof. The only time I've heard of anybody having computer issues is if they did some exhaust/intake mods and didn't want to spring for a fuel commander or cobra EFI unit. Well, all that and when a friend put an after market sound system on his Strat Deluxe, seems the new unit caused some kind of interferance with the computer, but a remapping of something or other fixed that. Don't know much about he science of it all but as a rule it seems like if you leave it stock you shouldn't have any issues to speak of, and if you do issues aare easily correctable. I'd be hard pressed to own a bike other than a vintage bike if it didn't have FI. I've got a 2010 Strat and absolutely love it.

#9 ·
Thanks.
Waiting on insurance quote now.
Then decide to finance or dip into savings and pay cash.
Then test ride....looking at an all-stock 2007 gold Roadliner with 3600miles and a 2006 black Strat, with 3k miles, pipes and tuner.
Need to look again at little details.

#10 ·
I own a 2009 Strat, it was my best choice after test riding many bike before trading in my Star 950 tourer. I did try Honda shadows, HD road kings and a Suzuki but came back to power of the Strat and the price difference of a HD. Best bang for the buck no doubt.

#11 ·
Hate to stir up old thread but in regards to original question about ' why so many used liners' I started 8 months ago researching my next bike. I was set on a HD RK or Heritage. After riding my friends Roadliner I found my next bike:)

look at Harleys on ebay or Craig's compared to how many Road stars and Liners. HD's far outnumber the Star and Liner bikes.

#12 ·
Myself and a bunch of others have over 50K miles on ours and we have a few pushing 200K miles, most like mine are stock as these bikes run best stock and after 10K miles the exhaust get deeper and sounds great.
The only common problem is the cush drive bearings at around 30K miles which is the same as all the cush drive bikes, I replaced mine at 38K miles.
You also have to check the front drive pully nut once in a while which takes about 15 mins, other than that there are no problems with the liners.

#13 ·
That's cool. Hard for me to imagine putting 50k miles on ANY bike!
Guess I never noted on this thread that I jumped in and bought one. Got a 2008 white Stratoliner with only 7514 miles in August 2012.
Most of the folks on this forum were correct: I absolutely love it!
Kinda of tempted by the new HD (gasp!) Street Glide Special but I can't imagine it handling as good as my Strat. Sometimes I put my feet on the back pegs & lean forward, and if I squint my eyes and don't look down, I imagine that I have a second much sportier bike.
After a few minutes either a chill goes up my spine as I think about what might happen if I really forgot what I was riding, or I bust out laughing about how crazy it is that I could even imagine that while riding such a big white beast!

Oh, and linerwiki rocks!

#15 ·
My theory is there are lots of folks with lots of bucks in this here Houston area who buy cool bikes and either 1) scare themselves, or 2) realize they don't ride it enough, or 3) find out to be "really cool" they need to spend 3x as much and get a Harley. So it's never hard to find low mile used bikes around here.
The lots of low mile used bikes around here is a fact I have taken advantage of many times.
The rest is just my theory.

#18 · (Edited)
Once you jump on this beast you will probably be hooked good.

I came from the smaller sport bikes also, many inline fours a few inline twins, and then the Yamaha Venture, second year, 1984 model, a big 1200cc V-four, loved it, ran the dog stuffing out of it for years, then got the newer bike bug again and started looking, I noticed the Strat on the local yamaha's website, and thought I might look at this. Then hit the bike shops all over Maryland for about a week, then hit Petes cycle in Baltimore, this 07 Strat was sitting right near the front door and I swear it was calling to me, no joke, I ignored all of the bikes in front, not knowing that all of them were older new bikes that the dealer had overstock on because of other shops going out of business. Anyway I looked at all the other bikes, several brands. I'm a full dresser type, want most of the goodies. I finally ended up over by the front door and wondered about the lower prices on what looked like new bikes, no miles on the odometer. The salesmen set me right with the details of what's up.
I sat on this grey beast and picked it up and everything in my mind went blank, I'm still not kidding here lol. This shop will not let you test ride, plus their location in a busy part of Baltimore is not a good spot to test ride. Anyway I thought WTH go for it. Took it home the next morning, and now after about 38K and three years, I still look to any outing or reason to go and jump on the grey beast, all of my shopping trips, eating out, pretty much anything out of my driveway I'm on the bike. My old truck is just sitting lol. So now I don't think I could ever downsize or go to any other engine configuration, Vtwin is it. A plus was my girlfriend likes it too and we ride all the time. I had asked her if she likes bikes on our very first contact so she went right to the top of my list. We both belong to the Westminster Star chapter. So you enjoy that white beast, hopefully your hook line and sinker by now. Start saving for new tires also. I hope you read about how fast these bikes eat tires.

#22 ·
This is an excellent question and, as an old guy with decent experience and skills, I'll throw my $.02 in.

Of course, maintenance is more important than miles.

You gotta expect a few wrinkles, scars and scrapes. Anything worth riding is gonna show some wear. As long as she runs good, shifts easy, revs smoothly, and can get you stopped under control when you need it, that's what you need.

Try and make sure there is no crazy ex rider who hasn't gotten over it and is having a hard time letter her go. If you find any of his junk in her bags, just get rid of it. If you'd wanted brand new, never ridden, that comes with it's own set of problems in addition to higher cost, break in and that comfortable, well worn feel.

Try and make sure there are no hidden surprises either. Fluids should be pretty clean. Once you get your hands on her and get in there and feel around a little bit, there should be no crud or serious build up. Again, it is used and some goo is to be expected. If it's bad or if something smells fishy, pass. Could be a sign of more serious problems.

If she smokes little, I think that is OK. Too much is too much.

You don't want one that swills too much. That's usually a sign of hidden trouble. Moderate is fine and going heavy once in awhile when you're really kicking it out is OK, too.

At the end of the day, if it's a good, solid ride, consistently, and you're good to her and she's good to you, more often than not, it will be a happy ending for all parties and, new or used, isn't that the goal?

And, if she also likes to ride motorcycles, that's good, too.

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.