Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

89 Octane

9K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  formie95 
#1 ·
Even though Yamaha recommends Premium gas for Liners, I read a number of online sources saying their Liners actually ran better on 89 octane gas...something about added Ethanol increasing octane content so Premium wasn't necessary. I didn't believe it (after all, shouldn't Yamaha know what is best for their motorcycles?), but finally decided to try it. I'll be damned if my bike doesn't run better on 89 octane instead of Premium! No loss of power, it's smoother, and it costs less! Try it...you might like it.

#3 ·
I wasn't focusing on saving money. What surprised me was that my bike actually runs better on 89 octane. I've heard several reports from Liner owners who report the same thing...that's why I tried it in the first place. Undoubtedly people will have different experiences, but this seems like something everyone should try at least once just to see if it makes a difference. If it didn't make any difference for you, stick with Premium. It's all good.

#5 ·
Hey...give me a break! :eek:

With a 28 cent savings per fill up that means you'd save...aahhh...a total of approximately 28 DOLLARS for every 14,000 miles you ride! This savings could then buy 3 more tanks on which you'd save another 28 cents per fill up that could be used towards your next 14,000 miles! So...over the long haul you could actually save almost 280 DOLLARS (!) on your first 140,000 miles of riding! Do the math...at 1,400,000 miles you'd be saving $2,800 which would buy you...let's see, how many tank fulls would that be...

;)

#8 ·
Stratonut, Thats awesome!!! Great way to break it down... I was using regular 89 octane in my 1100 custom, I switched to clear premium. (premium fuel with no ethanol) what a major difference. Mileage went from 40 up to 46mpg. switched back to regular fuel with an additive, and there was a noticeable lack in performance, and mpg. Just my personal experience.

#19 ·
clear premium?

I STILL want to know what is this "clear premium" of which you speak... I haven't heard of anything pure coming from pumps in this neck of the woods in years!

:eek:

#10 ·
Ya the money saving isn't what got me to try, it was the popping with stock pipe, it is ever so quiet but you can hear it.. Had more popping than when I switched to lower octane. I'm old school a bit and this engine isn't that hi a compression, so lower octane is ok but if you do hear pinging, get the octane back, but I doubt it would ping.
mcmark no premium in my neck of woods without ethanol, like all the rest of the gas we have its all going to corn syrup. I would use it if you have it... best choice in my opinion.. no ethanol

#14 ·
Probably won't see much difference in cooler climates. I try and find 91 octane when I can, but it's usually 89/ethanol. Found some 92 octane yesterday on a trip, but as the weather was in the 30's I didn't see any heating problems.

91 will keep your engine running cooler.

#15 ·
A number of years ago I was buying Can-Am race fuel 100 octane for a pretty penny, I'm sure you can find it someplace, but it will be pricey.....oh but look who I'm talking to "Mr. I got $2800.00 burning a hole in my wallet"

LOL! You got that right buddy...with the kind of money I'm saving I could be running pure nitro! :p

#18 · (Edited)
I see this thread is still hanging around so I thought I'd update my original post. Recently I added a Patrick Racing BAK, Vance & Hines 2 into 1 exhaust, Power Commander V and Dynojet Autotune. The bike now runs like a bat out of hell, but it's obvious that it runs better on Premium rather than 89 proof. So...the lesson to be learned is that everything is relative depending on circumstances. If you haven't tried 89 octane it would be worth checking out, but everyone's experience will be different depending on their situation.

Ride on.

#22 ·
Gents, if i may ,in the U .S .A ,if you buy you'r fuel at exxon or mobil ,they don't put ethanol in there fuel ( check the pumps ,it has to be posted on them if they use ethanol . In Canada , Esso is the station that also don't use ethanol . Hope that helps. Ride on .......

#24 ·
Gents, if i may ,in the U .S .A ,if you buy you'r fuel at exxon or mobil ,they don't put ethanol in there fuel ( check the pumps ,it has to be posted on them if they use ethanol .
This is absolutely NOT a universal truth. All of the Exxon stations in my area have the "10% ethanol" decals on the pumps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.