Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

something loose feeling in drive system

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  scooter72401 
#1 ·
when I let off throttle and don't do it slow it feels like something has loose play in the drive system. anybody have that problem 07 roadliner 16000mi

#6 ·
Drive paly

Scooter,

There is a some play in the drive train, gears and belt. What you see maybe normal. Hard to say not seeing the bike. But there is enough play that I do not like to go from decelerating (Engine braking.) to accelerating without using the clutch. Not sure it is any more than any other bike.

The front pully nut might be a possibliity. As DYNA said. I like to take the cover off and look at the staked washer rather than use a wench. If the washer is tight then the nut has not moved.

If your belt is adjusted for 1/2 of play with 10 pounds and the nut is tight you should be OK.

Dave

#7 ·
His play is noted when dropping the throttle, not going from coast to on-throttle (where they all seem jumpy)

Start with the basics. Check your tires, jack it up and check for fork play and swing arm play. Check wheel bearings for play. Check belt slack (most probable cause) and the front belt pulley (another probable cause). Make sure your rear axle is square to the bike. Make sure the rear axle nut is torqued.

If all of this is good and you still have the issue, time to have it looked at by someone.

Couple of questions... How long have you had the bike? How long have you rode? Did this just start or has it always been this way? Does it do it every time you let off the throttle? What speeds is it noticeable. Are there any sounds? Have you had any recent work done?

#8 ·
some slop is normal

the bikes have gears with a straighter cut to them it make the gears stronger. this also make the transmission feel like there is a lot of slop in it. Now i see you have a 2007 Stratoliner just like mine. Third gear failed on some of the early bikes and mine was one of them. 2006 & 2007 were the only years. 2008 and up got revised third gears and are fine. mine failed the first time at 18,000 mile. they fixed it for free but installed the same crappy gear, the revised gear was not in production yet. the replacement gear failed the next year at 100,000 miles, got it fixed for free again and it has been fine since. one way to tell if it is third gear is to drive down the road and put your hand on the final drive unit. it should feel smooth. mine felt like you put a hand full of rocks in the trans and they were passing thru everything. the pulley comments are a good thing to look at too. if the pulley is on tight and the final drive feels smooth then it is probably just the normal slack in the drive train.

#11 ·
Play

Mine too...I reckon it could possibly be the bearing behind the drive pulley...If you raise back wheel and spin it while in neutral the bearing behind my pulley is really rumbly....Couldn't detect any play in the bearing just very noisy....One day I will change it out....:D

#12 ·
I think it is caused by the transfer case chain. Letting off the throttle, than back on let's a small amount of slack, that you feel. Smoother throttle control is all I can think of. My 06 is the first bike I've owned with a transfer case and I noticed this feeling as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.