Whats your top speed so far? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > Stratoliner & Roadliner

Old 12-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
TheBrain

Cool Whats your top speed so far?

Hi All, was wondering what you have been getting for top speed. i have raced quite a few hopped up 95 cid harleys(100 - 110 H.P.) and can jump ahead of them every gear untill we get to 120 then it basicly stops excellerating (let off throttle at 127). in fourth gear i revved it to 5500 rpm like it was nothing and seemed to be doing the same in fifth. then the dreded 120 mph and only 5000 rpm. there must be a speed limiter. the harley guys gave me crap because they caught up and passed me said i was slow. my Yamahammer didnt like that. didnt like that at all. in fact i can hear her grinding rice in her teeth right now. it is Damn pissed.

Last edited by TheBrain; 12-06-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: update
TheBrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
TheBrain

O.K. i did more reseaching and this is what i've found. i think i was wound out. i found this really nice website that has a bunch of calculator. rpm @ speed, tire size calc, and others.
See it here;

http://www.izook.com/gearcalc.htm

if the strat has a final gear ratio of 3.31:1 then i was revving 5100 rpm at 120 and i made it to 127 which puts me at 5437 rpm i think i was maxxed out. the harley guys had big cams .580 lift and could rev to 6000 - 6500 rpmand i know this guys gear ratio is very close to mine. if he could get to 6000 then he is capable of 140 mph. i guess im pretty happy after all. if this was the 1/4 mi i would have beaten him easily. and he paid big money for his road glide and $5000.00 to hop it up.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
linerdave

Default Surprised

I am a little surprised to hear that. I have only been at that speed once. At 120 riding two up with bags and windshield I was still gaining. My son on his slightly built up Harley was topping out. On my 06 the rev limiter seems to come in close to 6,000 RPM. Although it is hard to see the small tack located where it is. I figured that top end would be something over 130. I'll never know.

I heard someone say once Yamaha limits speed to the rating of the tires on the bike? Don't know that.

At least you did this with a stock bike and your buddies spent another five grand on top of the bike if I under stand it.

Dave
linerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
TheBrain

yeah my bike was still gaining but ever so slightly. i think you are right on the speed limiter. it was clawing hard and still pulling way from the HD then it was like you backed off the throttle. all i know is i'm so glad i got the Strat i was really looking at a R* and it cost more money. the stratoliner has been so solid and fast for a big bike. torque monster for sure. do you know the rocker arm ratio? the manual tells you the cam lift numbers but doesnt tell you the rocker arm ratio so you cant calc valve lift. if anyone knows please tell.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
DSSFASTEDDIE

Cool Well

Well I just got on my Patrick Racing BAK with or without the Power Commander & Man did it make a BIG Diff. My Frd has a dino added 13 hp. I just went for a Nice Ride to ckeck it out 135mph No Prob. 2008 I wrote to Patracing with this repy (That is true and Bill at Patrick said this :

"Sales <Sales@patrickracingbillet.com> wrote:

Hello FastEddie,

Sorry for the delay with this message, we have been out of the
shop for
the holidays and we just returned.

With the stock pipes, PC and our air filter kit we achieved 13
hp. We
have not seen any pipes on the market actually increase
horsepower as of
yet. So the stock pipes are the best as of now.
DSSFASTEDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
TheBrain

what is your rev limiter set at. does the power commander allow you to keep going after 120 - 130?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
DSSFASTEDDIE

Cool

To tell you the truth I really don't know my frd set it up! What I do Know is as I Looked Down for a Sec. The Speedo Said 135 ? and it was still running ? I will ask him when he gets back in town.
DSSFASTEDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Vgorilla

I have done the slingshot past 135 before. I spend a lot of time at or above 120 on my roadliner. I have the '06 roadliner with PR BAK, roadhouse slip on, avon cobras F&R, and the PCIII with the FXSTEIN map on it. It hits the rev limiter in 5th gear like a freight train and nobody but the sport bike guys dare go that fast. I am usually ride between 4-5000' elevation. The freeway between Salt Lake City and Wendover is a good chance to wrap the sucker out. If this bike had two more gears I am sure it would go 175 though aerodynamics might play a big part in that.
Vgorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
hilleyja

Default Top Speed vs Cruiser ???

Rev limiter aside, who really wants to go more than 80-90 on a laid-back cruiser. I think the best I've done is a few miles over 90 and still had considerably more throttle left to go. It's just not comfortable at that speed because of the rider position. I have one road here in New Mexico with a speed limit of 75. I usually do it at about 77 (GPS) and after about 10 miles I find it difficult to maintain it because of the rider position. I don't have forward controls or highway pegs on my engine guard and that is about the time my feet have a hard time staying on the floorboards without a noticible effort.

If you want speed get a machine thats designed for it. If you want a leisurely ride down the 2-lane and once-in-a-while the 4-lane highway relax and enjoy the ride at 60-70mph.

NOTE: I believe the stock rev limiter is 5000 rpm (I know it is on a Roadstar). The PowerCmdr will allow you to raise that and typically you do raise it to about 5500 rpm (the extra 500 rpm is a vast improvement to the run-up to highway speed from the on-ramp). I had my Stratoliner PowerCmdr II custom mapped for performance last summer. While I observed the mechanic at work I noticed he routinely revved it up to 5400rpm during his high-speed runs. I couldn't see the speedometer so don't know what the bike speed was. In any case the limiter on my bike seems to be ~5400 rpm. That's still good enough to get me 86.9 HP at ~3500rpm, and 116 lb torgue at ~2500rpm. That's with Yamaha Speedstar Long pipes and Power Commander II, no O2 sensor, and stock airbox.

NOTE2: You mentioned your buddy's extra $5000 spending on Harley hotups. Look at Harley's Screaming Eagles; they are almost comparable to the Stratoliner/Roadliner engine performance (110ci vs our 113ci) and they typically run in the $30K-$40K price range. They are not even really custom bikes because they are based on standard Harley's with a high-performance power mills, though some have some enhanced paint jobs. I don't ever think I could be rich enough to spend that kind of money on a non-customed chopper motorcycle.

Last edited by hilleyja; 05-10-2010 at 02:48 PM.
hilleyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #10
bowhunter4265

the rev limiter is a bit higher on the strats than a Road*.. I haven't found the exact number but have seen 5,200 on some sites (I'm still breaking in mine)
but I believe the PCV and others have a rev limit change that is put in the programming but I don't have any of the PC's yet and can't find how much you can adjust it and dyna has a form you have to sign and get back to them to enable that part of the system.
But It should let you run out any of the other gears and get a higher speed, the ? is who needs it, the faster speed that is.. If I get one of those programmers I would probably sign just to get more out of the bike but I can beat most of my friends that have harleys already.. only the ones putting in thousands of dollars give me a run for there money..
bowhunter4265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > Stratoliner & Roadliner