V-Star 950: prevent scraping floorboards in turns? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star

Old 02-04-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
jet987

Default V-Star 950: prevent scraping floorboards in turns?

I'm considering buying a 2009 V-Star 950 Tourer and am concerned about scraping the floorboards in turns. I currently have a 2005 Suzuki C50T with floorboards which allow me to get pretty low in turns both at low and high speed and rarely scrape. When I compared it to a V-Star 950 at the dealership, there was much less distance between floorboards and the ground on the V-Star. Is there any way to raise the floorboards on the V-star or do another mod for higher ground clearance in turns?
jet987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
linerdave

Default Scraping floor boards

Jet,

I do not have a 950 but I believe the boards are fairly low as you say. You may well scrape the boards in a hard turn. I had an 1100, the boards were also low in it. I just needed to get used to it. They are designed to scrape without any problem. They pivot up easly and have a replaceable bumper on the bottom. The sound is unnerving at first. That is what you will need to get used to. Don't let this get in your way 950 is a great bike. Some even like to brag about scraping boards.

I don't know of a mod to raise the boards but maybe someone else has some input.

Dave
linerdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Sugar Bear

Don't know much about 950's other than they are a good lookin ride, I assume(always dangerous) they have spring loaded floorboards, knowing you are going to scrape at times, if you like the way it sits, go for it and change the boards as needed, if you were to raise them some way, your riding postion would change, maybe worse, maybe better, just a few idle thoughts.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
ModlrMike

The 950 has spring mounted floorboards and replaceable wear bars. It's expected you will scrape from time to time.
ModlrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
dmill1220

I do own a 950, and I have definitely scraped the floorboards more than once, lol

But as long as you don't lean hard like you're on a crotch rocket, you'll be OK, although the bike feels very nimble and is definitely capable of tight hard leaning angles, the boards do limit the bikes overall performance on cornering. she's really not made for burning through hard cornering that's for sure.

I am really happy with this bike, the only mod so far is a gel pad for the rear seat for my wife, I have the blue two tone with the quick release sissy bar and back rest.

I think that you hit on the only slight drawback of the new 950, still a dam good bike though, I know I own one
dmill1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
950junkie

Default Scraped em too.

Yeah, I have a 950 too, I have scraped my floorboards too alot, one time it grabbed and jolted me a little so be careful, but the plus side of this bike is that it is just a really great bike and powerful. I love it I will try and fix my floor board situation and let people know.
950junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
dmill1220

I was carefully studying the problem, to me it looks like it's not going to be an easy fix, it seems that the mounting plates for the boards might also have to be moved, let us know what you come up with.

Dennis
dmill1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:28 AM   #8
bevo1981
Super Moderator

i kinda like scraping them. lets you know you're making a hard turn, and lets u know you've just about reached your limit in how far you should be leaning the bike, almost like a warning. like those before said, you're not gonna scrape them a whole lot unless you're trying to treat the bike like a crotch rocket.
bevo1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
04ctd

the bike is built too low, as a compromise for short people, and floorboards are easier for short people than pegs.

it's a compromise. we lowered my wife's 950, and i scrape a floor board any time i ride it.

you basically have to learn to "counter balance" by leaning your body in, and keeping the bike straight up.

it's a good bike for many reasons, but not a corner carver.
04ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
drkhrse00

You can shim the floorboards up but not much. If you unbolt them from the mounting arms you can stack a few small washers between the floorboards and the mounting arms. Like i said you may only gain a few millimeters but might be all you need.

Last edited by drkhrse00; 02-11-2010 at 09:20 AM.
drkhrse00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star