no spark - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star

Old 02-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
nut4bike

Question no spark

I have a 2000 650 classic with 22k bought it new. There is no spark. what should I check before I take to the pros?
nut4bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
DMTJOY

I would start with the fuses, then check all connectors for looseness and corrosion. Check the plug wires for damage. It could also be something like the kill switch, but that controls the starter. check the red w/black stripe wire at the coils for 12v with the ignition switch on.
Hope this helps
Doug
DMTJOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
linerdave

Default Battery

Doug covered it pretty good, there is an ignition fuse. Only other thing if it has set for a while and the battery is low try jumping it. If the battery falls low while cranking you might not get a spark.

Dave
linerdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Sugar Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
Doug covered it pretty good, there is an ignition fuse. Only other thing if it has set for a while and the battery is low try jumping it. If the battery falls low while cranking you might not get a spark.

Dave
Yes, Sugar Bear thinks Doug and Dave have pretty much covered things that could getter goin again, from the old school guy, go with what those boys say, think you will be happy Dave talked bout the battery needs to be full, he is totally correct, Sugar Bear dealt with that very thing, little things make a world of difference.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
DMTJOY

I guess I was assuming (bad thing) that the starter was turning the engine over. Usually means the battery has enough juice to start the bike. if all is well. But the battery could aslo be an issue.
Doug
DMTJOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star