Help - Changing spark plugs V-Star 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star

Old 06-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Conley

Default Help - Changing spark plugs V-Star 1100

I feel like a real n00b, but How do you get the cyl caps off of the V-Twin to change the spark plugs?

Is there a picture based how to on the net??
'Hard Krome' pipes
K&N filter
Custom front turn lights
large saddlebags
engine accent lights
wide seat
Kuryakyn Tombstone LED rear light set
ORK 5/8 line
POD MOD
Conley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Philo

On the 650, you hold the cap and tug!
Philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Sugar Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philo View Post
On the 650, you hold the cap and tug!
Yes, same on an 1100 Classic, it's a little tight, but they pull off, rubber grommets like hold them tight.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
danman

Default plug caps

When I did mine recently I had to remove the seat and lift the tank a bit to get enough clearence to get the chrome caps off. Then I had to remove the left engine guard and floorboard to get room for the spark plug socket and extention with a swivel joint just to get the front plug out. The rear plug was only a few minutes to change but the front one took about 30 minutes. When you put the new plugs in, use a piece of aquarium hose on the top of the plug to get the plug started in the hole because they are deep down in the cylinder head. Also be sure to check the gap on the new plugs before you install.
barons ork
kuryakyn isso grips
breakaway cruise cont.
driver backrest
barons DT risers
oem passing lights
crome visors on all lights & signals
drag highway pegs
throwover saddle bags
sissy bar with rack
studded front and rear seats
studded gas tank bib with pouch
clocks for bikes- stem mount
Ram mount& hard wire for GARMIN GPS
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
Conley

Thanks, the plugs went in and gave a little boost. I got the iridium plugs. The old plugs didn't seem taught enough when I removed them. The front cyl plug had old oil around the outside and looked like the plug was fouled. The rear plug was fouled a littl;e, but not half as bad as the front. I think the problem was that the plug wasn't seated completely and allowe a little blow by over time.

Bottom line is that it runs good, no leaks and the dealer gave it his nod of approval. He took it for a spin around the block and said I only had to perform the maintenance stuff. Aside from the front tire, needing replacement soon, the bike is a real winner!
'Hard Krome' pipes
K&N filter
Custom front turn lights
large saddlebags
engine accent lights
wide seat
Kuryakyn Tombstone LED rear light set
ORK 5/8 line
POD MOD
Conley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
dmac

Default 2004 1100 Custom

Just changed the plugs on my 04 1100 custom, I read this thread first and was holding my breath, the service manual doesn't mention having to remove the seat or raise the gas tank. After wasting time pulling the wrong cover, (the one on the front cylinder with the screws), I pulled the correct covers straight off, used compressed air to blow out the cylinders, then was able to remove and replace both plugs without having to do anything else. Maybe the custom has a smaller gas tank or something? I also used a 'wobble' long extension on my rachet giving me more angle to work with, maybe that also made a difference.

After wiping the bike down and starting it to be sure everything seemed alright, I'm now ready and eager for the ride to work in the morning.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
aide

I love this tool and it saves the skin. I don't remove the seat ,tank etc. Alto on the front cyl I have to make room by removing the upper crash mount bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sparkplugcaptool.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	1878  
aide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
SSC

You dont have to remove anything other then the decorative chrome covers thye like mentioned pull out and push back in. Once the cover is off and the spark plug boot is off its a straight shot to the spark plug, you dont even need a wobble or anything special.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
jpres3

Thanks to all for this timely post. I recently got the Clymer manual for my 03 1100 Custom and it referred to removing the tank. Glad I saw this before I dived into all that mess!!!
jpres3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
Uncle Scotty

Default Plugs down by your feet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
When I did mine recently I had to remove the seat and lift the tank a bit to get enough clearence to get the chrome caps off. Then I had to remove the left engine guard and floorboard to get room for the spark plug socket and extention with a swivel joint just to get the front plug out.
Buddy, I'm not sure what kind of engine guards you've got on there....but, removing the floorboard must have been just to get the guard off; it's no where NEAR the plug!
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star