type of oil - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star

Old 06-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
ngdoctor

Default type of oil

Hi everyone I'm a newbie on this site. I have a question about brands of oil to use on my v-star 650 and 1100's. I've been using yamaha brand oil all this time. but my brother says to save money and use regular automotive oil. just don't use the ones that has the energy conserving label. he says that he's been using it in his bike ( kawasaki concours) the past several years without any problems. but his bike isn't air cooled. does anyone have any suggestions about this. Thanks
ngdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
bruceanddixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngdoctor View Post
Hi everyone I'm a newbie on this site. I have a question about brands of oil to use on my v-star 650 and 1100's. I've been using yamaha brand oil all this time. but my brother says to save money and use regular automotive oil. just don't use the ones that has the energy conserving label. he says that he's been using it in his bike ( kawasaki concours) the past several years without any problems. but his bike isn't air cooled. does anyone have any suggestions about this. Thanks
I've been riding for a lot of years and have been told, and do believe, don't skrimp on the quality of your oil. It's the engines life blood. For the first time, I changes over to synthetic. Just rode my 1100 classic from Seattle to the Laughlin River Run and the bike has never run better.
bruceanddixie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
HTMNKYLVE

I have switched every bike I've owned for the past 10 years over to an off the shelf fully synthetic automotive oil and have never once had a problem. Yamalube full synthetic is 15 bucks a qrt but a 5qrt jug of mobile 1 from walmart is 29 bucks, you do the math. For the most part putting a label on a jug of oil that says "motorcycle" is a marketing ploy. The bottom line is that there is oil and there is better oil, just because it says motorcycle doesn't make it better. save yourself the money and get your oil from walmart and depending what filter your bike takes walmart also carries a limited selection of fram motorcycle filters at half the price of your local bike shop.

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
HTMNKYLVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
taboo365

Stay with motorcycle oil. The few cents more you spend on it is
worth every penny. I just had my first 600 mile oil change and went
with Yamalube conventional oil, and will stay with that for as long as I own the bike. Love the way it smells when the motor is warm.
In my opinion I don't need the synthetic.
My bike runs strong and proud.
Not too quiet and not too loud.
1977 Harley Iron Head Sportster
1970 Triumph 500 Hard Tail Chopper
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
taboo365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Sugar Bear

Default Oil

I swear, gentlemen. Talkin the "best" oil is like talkin religion and politics. Use a good quailty oil, and always a good filter each change, and be sure if you are runnin a wet clutch, steer way clear of anything saying "energy conserving", I run Castrol 20/50, like that stuff, has served me well, but that's just me, others have their hearts in their favorite.Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Tonydtiger1971

Yep, just like religion isn't it.
Tonydtiger1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
HTMNKYLVE

The bottom line is that you have to use whatever you are comfortable with and lets you sleep at night. I just happen to be fine with plain old automotive synthetic oil and have never had any issues. If you are not comfortable with that then buy some that says motorcycle on the jug.

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
HTMNKYLVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
linerdave

Default Reading material.

Look this over, specialy the part on which oil to use. Then form your own opinion.

Dave

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...100-FAQ-01.htm
linerdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #9
new2vstar

Quick comment, there are a thousand different oil brands all made in the same refineries so really, whatever brand you run will be as good as any other.
new2vstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
SSC

Well I switched to Valvoline motor cycle oil from mobile 1 motor cycle oil. I dont like it. When it did my good run up the highway the bike seems better from the weight difference since I switched 10w 40 to 20w 50 but this dino juice foams bad where the m1 did not foam at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star