Tire Pressure - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star

Old 06-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Jayson Wonder

Send a message via MSN to Jayson Wonder
Default Tire Pressure

Helo All,

I searched but did not see an obvious answer.

I have a 09 VStar Silverado stock tires, wheels etc, curious what riders consider as the "best" tire presse for the front and rear tire.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Cheese and crackers

Jayson, look for the white sticker on the left side of the swingarm or in your owners manual for the recommended pressure determined by Yamaha. The chassis engineers, the suitability test riders and Dunlop or Bridgestone go to great lengths to determine the correct pressures for each and every model. I've worked with them on a regular basis for many years and know how methodical they are. I would trust them in a heart beat. The sticker and owners manual will list 2 different pressures for 2 different load capacities. The first recommended pressure will be for a load capacity from 0-198 lb. This is normally your driver only unless he happens to weigh more than 198 lb. The second will be from 198-whatever your specific model says. This is usually with a passenger when you know your total weight is going to be over 198 lb. The purpose this serves is to provide you with the best tire life, best road handling and ideal tire contact patch to prevent tire overheating. Also, don't forget the importance of increasing the rear shock preload adjuster when you occasionally ride with a passenger. This serves 3 main purposes; 1-provides decreased sack of the rear shock to maximize the cushion comfort of the rear shock (your passenger will appreciate it); 2-provides correct front to rear weight bias for optimum handling, especially on curvy canyon roads (you'll appreciate that); 3-minimizes excessive scraping of your floorboard skids. For load recommendations of the rear shock check your owners manual. I believe it's a step adjuster that's easy to do on most Star models and your bike should come with the preload tool in the tool kit. Enjoy your new Star and if I can be of further help please let me know.
Cheese and crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Sugar Bear

I agree with Cheese to a point, the tire pressure that is recommened I have found is too low for tire life, my Silverado says to run 33&33, I ended up with cupping on the front and short life on the rear(damn near got me killed) I have found Bridgestone sucks(just me) on my bike. I run 40&40 on Metz. They are hard if riding single, I admit that. Just some personal thoughts. Ride Safe. (sorry hit the wrong number, it's 33&36)

Last edited by Sugar Bear; 06-25-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Sugar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
JollyRoger
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear 06 View Post
I agree with Cheese to a point, the tire pressure that is recommened I have found is too low for tire life, my Silverado says to run 33&33, I ended up with cupping on the front and short life on the rear(damn near got me killed) I have found Bridgestone sucks(just me) on my bike. I run 40&40 on Metz. They are hard if riding single, I admit that. Just some personal thoughts. Ride Safe. (sorry hit the wrong number, it's 33&36)
I agree with Sugar Bear. I run 36 lbs in front and 38 lbs in rear. Results in much better tire wear and handling.

Roger
TheClevver.com
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Flush You Bastard

I do 33 & 36 psi, going by the manual recommendations for my weight. Still stock tires, and am replacing the rear only too with the same as what the stock tires are.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
342lx

I do 36/39 myself. 240 lbs
342lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
ronchi

Default air pressure

with my 1100 silverado and bridgestone tires. i use 35lbs front and 38lbs rear with good results and wear. weight about 190 lbs.
good riding and be safe !!!!
ronchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Jayson Wonder

Send a message via MSN to Jayson Wonder

These replies are quite helpful, I will experiement a bit and see what works best. Tire life is an important factor to me also.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star