Removing muffler from Stratoliner - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > Stratoliner & Roadliner

Old 12-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
mfitz62

Red face Removing muffler from Stratoliner

Ok, I do not have a lift and need reading glasses. To remove the muffler to put on a new Rush Slip-on I can't see the bolts. I can feel three bolts on the backside that have allen heads and I assume the allen head underneath at the front of the muffler is a ring clamp???

I can't get under the bike and see at the same time and I am sure this should be a simple unbolt and bolt back on. Then unhook the battery so the bike resets itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Fitz.
mfitz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Frog

Default Exhaust

Yep..Three on muffler body...2 around the middle 1 towards the front...1 ring clamp....you need 6mm allen key for three behind muffler...5mm for ring clamp...you will need to jiggle muffler to remove it pulling backwards at the same time.....
Send some photos when you are done please....

Last edited by Frog; 12-30-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: more info
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
linerdave

Default Eyes

Fritz,

You can take the muffler off mostly by feel but, it might get harder to install the new bolts unless you can see the holes. I had a set of glasses with the bifocal in the top and bottom. (Called double D.)Sure helped. For one job you might think of a pair of $10 reading glasses. So you can look through the top. Maybe lay a mirror on the floor under the job.

If all this fails I think I would look for some help. Good luck.

Dave
linerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
mfitz62

Thanks guys. I had two of the bolt half way out and couldn't get started on the third and gave up not knowing if that was it. I can get it now. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
neemeth

Let us know how you like the rush pipe when you are done. Maybe post some pics? I am looking to maybe buy a rush but there isn't much info on them out there.
neemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
mfitz62

Might be a little while before I know how I will like the Rush. Here in Illinois it could be 3 months or more before I get to ride it. I will keep you all posted when I git r done.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
neemeth

I'm interesTed in pics if you have them. Or a link to a picture would be good.

What does the quaLity look like?
neemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
mfitz62

Quality looks pretty good. I am thinking this thing is gonna be loud. I can see straight through it. When I get a day that the garage floor is dry I will get it installed and post some pics.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
TheBrain

Default Muffler removeale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfitz62 View Post
Quality looks pretty good. I am thinking this thing is gonna be loud. I can see straight through it. When I get a day that the garage floor is dry I will get it installed and post some pics.
Hi, i hope i can make this a simple deal for you.
don't try to undo the allen head bolts.

1. loosen the ring clamp. you can lay on your side and see this easily.
2. remove the two bolts holding the aluminum arm the muffler is supported by. also easily reachable by laying on your side. then the whole assembly slides rearward and is off in a minute. USE CAUTION NOT TO DAMAGE THE GASKET MATERIAL AT THR RING CLAMP END. IT IS INSIDE THE PIPE.
3. remove the aluminum bracket from the muffler which you can now easily face toward you for easy access.

now all you have to do is mount the new muffler LOOSELY to the mount bracket then slide it back on to the pipe. adjust the muffler on the bracket and tighten in place. then tighten ring clamp.
VERY EASY.
it is way harder if you try to loosen the allen head bolts as they have loctite holding them in. mine was hard to get loose even when it was off the bike. i wouldn't want to try it upside down trying to see these hidden allen heads. plus if you screw up the allen heads you will have a really hard time from there on. just undo the two blots and the ring clamp and slide it off. the do the bracket.

Last edited by TheBrain; 01-07-2011 at 04:46 PM.
TheBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
mfitz62

Thanks for the help Brain!!!

I will get some pics posted and hopefully try to shoot a video of the sound. Can't wait for spring to get this out on the road.

Fitz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > Stratoliner & Roadliner