Tire pressure - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star

Old 07-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Gaijin

Default Tire pressure

I've read a number of prior postings on tire pressure settings and have weeded out some from these missives.

Figured it's time we chat a little about what works for our bikes' tires and our own riding style.

I'll start with mine:

- 2005 V Star 1100 Classic.

- OEM Tires (less than 1K on rear tire/front at 3K). Dunlop D404 Front 130/90-16 (67H). Dunlop D404 Rear 170/80-15 (77H).

- Solo set-up. No saddle bags.

- Moderate rider. Average 500 miles a month. Highway/secondary roads. Rarely Interstate riding. Average speed 35 MPH.

- Front tire pressure at 36 psi.

- Rear tire pressure at 38 psi.

Both tires seem to hold up well and rides good.

Other inputs?

Last edited by Gaijin; 07-14-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: additional info
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
stratowart
Banned

I never guessed at an average speed, but I somewhere closer to 1000 miles per month. I run the stock stratoliner tires at the recommended pressures, 36 psi front (130/70-18), 41 psi rear (190/60-17). Tire wear is looking uniform but I fear all the road scarfing of the highways all around me will shorten the tire life faster than what tire pressures can affect. The Strat is a fairly hefty bike so I think I'll be changing rear tires at a 2:1 ratio to the front tire.

I think to keep track of all the tire pressures for this topic, the bike model needs to be considered as part of the input.

Last edited by stratowart; 07-14-2011 at 09:39 AM.
stratowart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Gaijin

Recommended tire pressures according to my owner's manual are 33 psi. front and 36 psi. rear. I go a tad more since I think that the bike coming in at a hefty 625 lbs wet plus additional weight added by rider and accessories could use the extra psi well within the tire manufacturer's maximum tire pressure rating.

BTW, these are cold tire pressures.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
stratowart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I've always heard to run'em as hard as you can stand it. My dad just got 21,000 out of his rear tire, a Dunlop Elite 3. Runs them at 45psi. HD Electra Glide.
Yep, I can see that happening ONLY IF the road resurfacing going on here would just finish. My blood pressure rises exponetially with every flashing highway warning "GROOVED PAVEMENT AHEAD....M'CYCLES USE CAUTION"

From what I can see right now, I might get 7500 before cords start showing on the rear tire of my 850 pound scoot (weight does not include my fat ass sitiing on it).
Old 07-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Buf

I recently adjusted my tires from what they were when I picked the bike up, 45 front and 48 rear. I set them to 33 and 36 per the owners manual. I did see they were wearing heavier in the center of the tread due to the inflation. The front tire, older than Hugh Hefner, has some chopping on the "just outside center" portion and now with the lower pressure I notice the bars jiggle around 30mph if I don't have pressure on them. Nothing serious like a death wobble but disconcerting just the same. I want to ride some grooved roads and see how it feels yet, at the higher pressures it wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be and the parallel tar strip repairs wasn't as bad as I've heard they could be either.
Stock Pipes DeBaffled
What Next???
Buf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
stratowart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Personally I would never try to run a tire 20K+, I think that's nuts. I don't care what it looks like. I agree that road conditions have alot to do with wear. I do run my rear at about 42 and the front at 40. When they look like they need changing, I'll change'em. I always thought somewhere between 8 and 12K was normal for a rear tire to be worn out. For the last few months I kept nagging my dad to get a new tire, I guess he smartend up cuz he finally got one 2 weeks ago. He gets his money's worth but it's like I told him, YOU'RE CRAZY, I'd be nervous as hell having 20K on my tire. He rides with my mom on it too. We're talking like 1250lbs+ cruisin' down the road.
Not that it would happen for me but if I have 20K and I'm still above the wear indicators, and I don't have sidewall cracking, why not? Tires don't turn into a pumkin after the stroke of 20K as far as I know.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
monte1214

- Has anyone gone with the Nitrogen in their tires?
- I was thinking of doing it.
- Supposed to not leak?

Last edited by monte1214; 07-14-2011 at 08:44 PM.
monte1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
stratowart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte1214 View Post
- Has anyone done gone with the Nitrogen in their tires?
- Supposed to not leak?
I've never heard the "no leak" sales pirch before. I don't see that reasoning at all. Our atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. The oxygen atom is bigger than the nitrogen. Sounds like a scam to me.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte1214 View Post
- Has anyone done gone with the Nitrogen in their tires?
- Supposed to not leak?
Air pressure loss is neglible. Consumer Reports did a study on the subject some years back. Albeit, CR used automobile tires and not motorcycle tires but I believe other than application; the net results would be the same.

The other issue I see with using nitrogen is what happens when you're on an extended road trip and need to your tires and there aren't nitrogen fill station around? Introducing compressed air will deteriorate the nitrogen already in the tire and technically you'll have to purge the tire(s) and replenish with nitrogen to gain its reported advantage over compressed air.

My recommendation is go with compressed air and just be deligent in monitoring air pressure. Your tires will thank you for that simple act and pay back in dividends down the road.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...nitrogen-.html
Old 07-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
Tonydtiger1971

I think their selling point is that nitrogen molecule is larger and won't leak out. If that is the case you would have a nitrogen filled tire after about the 4th time you needed to add air. You start off with 78%, the oxygen leaks out and you only add 22% of the air back and only 22% of that is oxygen. Example 40psi, lose 22%, 31.2 psi, add 8.8 psi lose 1.936, add 2 psi, lose 22% and you can't even tell on a tire pressure gauge and your tire is full of nitrogen at 39.58 psi. Oh wait I put 2psi so the tire ends up at 40.248 psi all nitrogen.

Theories are so nice

http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

This explains about nitrogen in tires, in theory.
Tonydtiger1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star