Pickup coil - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Technical Information > Engine Work

Old 08-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Jarhead1100

Default Pickup coil

So as many of you have heard, I have been having a bitch of a time with my bike. A couple of years ago I had a car that had similar syptoms. The stealership started by replacing the fuel pump, saying that the codes indicated that was the cause.

On the ride home the car started the same problems, much like my bike right now. The cause...which could only be seen when the car was left running for an extended period of time was the the cam sensor. This is a nifty peice of equipment that's been put in so the car doesn't turn over so many times when the key is turned...it just starts right up.

Well, it's been explained to me that the pickup sensor is much like this cam sensor. Now, I have checked the shop manual that says if it's not within specs to replace it, but I can't find where to get one, what the part number is, what the exact nomenclature is, or anything!

Does anyone know what the exact name for the pickup coil is and where I can get one, if I end up going down that road?

Last edited by Jarhead1100; 08-18-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Jarhead1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
stratowart
Banned

I believe it's also refered to as the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS)

I haven't heard of anybody having an intermittent problem with those as they either work fine or if not you have a dead engine, won't run, won't start.

Last edited by stratowart; 08-18-2011 at 08:48 AM.
stratowart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
SparkyD

Chapter 9, starting on page 242 of the Clymer manual has good info on testing stator and pickup coil. Even has pretty pics to help people like me

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
SparkyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Jarhead1100

Well if does do the same thing as the cam sensor on my previous car then it might be intermittent. It would run great and then just cut out. The mechanic had to run it for an entire day to get the error to register. He thought I was crazy.

From what I've seen of this bike I come to expect the unexpected, but in a bad way.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
linerdave

Default Pickup coil

Jarhead,

I believe the pick up coil comes with the stator assembly. Costly for a test. I agree with Stratowart, is not usually intermittent.

Part number for stator assy is 5KS-81410-02-00.

It supplies a pulse once per revolution to the ignition unit for timing of spark.

Dave
linerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Technical Information > Engine Work