Aluminum Corrosion - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > General StarBikeForums Discussions > General Bike Talk

Old 09-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #1

Default Aluminum Corrosion

Help!

My bike lived outside at the beach before I bought her. Now she is living the life (just like the dogs in my house hmm) and she has the 3rd car garage all to hersel. (well she does share with an HD but she has the prime spot ). I am still trying to get her detailed completely but the front forks have some corrosion on them and I have tried several products and places. The last place I went was the Marine store and bought a product that did not help.

Has anyone found a product to help with this that they would recommend?

Oh and I ended up trying Clorox clean-up on my white walls and it worked great. I tried the Simple Green first but it seemed like it was doing more damage to my nails then the grime on the tire.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
farmalldanzil

If you wont to do all the fork than you should use a stripper to remove the clear coat. But for touch ups you can use about 400grit or a fine wire brush and some clear coat in a rattle can.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
stratowart
Banned

I don't recall seeing anything thay you can spray onto dull and pitted aluminum and wipe or hose off giving you "like new" results. Sanding and buffing is what lies ahead of you. The shinier you want it to get, the more finger nail damage you will suffer.

As Farmall mentioned 400 grit should do the heavy work unless there is pitting. Oh and funny thing about that silvery colored aluminum, when you sand, buff, and polish, it comes off black. Now look at your hands, see all the fine lines off your knuckles, and see the edges around and under your fingernails, now picture them filled with black soot. ENJOY!
stratowart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
hdeater113

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho

The corrosion is coming from rock chips on the clear coat exposing the raw fork. If it's not bad you can spray wheel cleaner on it like you would on wire wheels for a car and that kills the corrosion. After that you have to pollish it and recoat it like farmall said.
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
hdeater113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
Sugar Bear

Got a jar of "Mothers" some time ago that worked sortta good, as Wart says, prepare to get nasty
Old 09-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
farmalldanzil

Talking if you start it my be hard to stop

Got power tools ?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #7

Thanks Guys,

Looks like I need to buy some rubber gloves... JK. Ok off to buy a few more things when I get back from my trip.

thanks again.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #8
clicker666

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie View Post
Thanks Guys,

Looks like I need to buy some rubber gloves... JK. Ok off to buy a few more things when I get back from my trip.

thanks again.
There's nothing wrong with wearing some disposable gloves. I used to own a couple of Neons, and needless to say, got fed up having filthy cut up hands all the time pretty quickly. I ended purchasing a couple of pair of Mechanix gloves on sale rather than the disposable rubber ones. (I sweat too much in the rubber ones)

These are great for dirty work, and I could even pick up screws while wearing them.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
stargazer

I don't mind getting dirty. I find the grease and oil actually help keep my hands from cracking.

1992 Virago 750
2009 vstar 1100 classic
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
1948boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I don't mind getting dirty. I find the grease and oil actually help keep my hands from cracking.
After reading this I couldn't help myself, So what do you use on your hair? LOL
1948boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > General StarBikeForums Discussions > General Bike Talk