DIY Locking Saddlebags - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Technical Information > Motorcycle Modifications

Old 11-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
CorporalPunishment

Default DIY Locking Saddlebags

I recently got a 2006 V-Star 650 Silverado. My first cruiser bike and I love it. The saddlebags really come in handy but I was a little concerned about the fact that anyone could walk up to my bike and open them up so I figured out a way to lock them up.....Now if someone really wanted in bad enough they could probably still rip them open but seeing a padlock on them is more of a deterrent then just seeing 2 buckles.

SUPPLIES USED:
2-standard door hasps
12-1/8 in diameter pop rivets
12-1/8 in diameter rivet washers
2-small padlocks

First I cut the hinge end of the door hasps off leaving myself with only the plate with large rectangular hole.

Next I drilled 4 holes in the plate with a 1/8 in drill bit.

Then I carefully held the plates in position on the cover of the saddlebags and drilled through the pre-drilled holes in the plates.

Then I installed 4 pop rivets in the holes, slid a washer on the backside of each rivet and popped them into place with a rivet gun.

Next I used a knife to cut out the leather where the main hole in the plate was.

Then I placed the eyelet part of the hasp through the finished saddlebag lid.

Then I closed the lid and pressed on the hasp enough that the eyelet part of the hasp left an imprint on the main bag.

Then I took the eyelet end out and lined it up with the imprint on the main bag and once again using my 1/8 drill bit, drilled through the 2 holes and the main bag.

Finally I riveted the eyelet in place using the same method as before with a 1/8 in washer on the backside of each rivet.

*****One thing I didn't take into account was how much of the eyelet would be exposed upon closing the bag. I ended up having to use a round file to elongate the hole slightly to accommodate the padlocks I bought, but they work great and don't look too bad either in my opinion.*****

CorporalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Sugar Bear

My friend, if you want an opine, here is mine: With a security system like that, you are telling the world, "Look here, I got something real valuable in here, steal it" I got bags like that, never had a problem, park where you can see your bike while at an eatin place, take your stuff in at a motel.

Sorry, but to me you are saying, I got a wad of cash, an expensive camera, a .45, or other good stuff packed behind this lock

Me again here, but don't leave good stuff unattended wheather you are locked up or not. Ride Safe
Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
CorporalPunishment

Well I believe a large part of crime is opportunity, and to me a padlock looks a lot harder to get into then 2 buckles. I wouldn't really keep anything that valuable in them anyway. Secondly I wasn't really looking for an opinion, just providing some info if anyone wanted to do something similar.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
CorporalPunishment

Wow, I didn't expect to get flamed for putting a DIY mod on the forum but I guess some people just have to throw their negative 2 cents in. Hmmm maybe I should leave the front door to my apt wide open while I'm gone cause if I close and lock it people might think I have some really good stuff in there. haha
Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Sugar Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalPunishment View Post
Wow, I didn't expect to get flamed for putting a DIY mod on the forum but I guess some people just have to throw their negative 2 cents in. Hmmm maybe I should leave the front door to my apt wide open while I'm gone cause if I close and lock it people might think I have some really good stuff in there. haha
Well, my post was not meant to be negative at all. Just wanted to say what I thought of the your mod Different strokes.

Locks are for honest folks, a set of bolt cutters, and 10 seconds, you are cleaned out.

No harm meant, just reality Ride and be safe.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
CorporalPunishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
Well, my post was not meant to be negative at all. Just wanted to say what I thought of the your mod Different strokes.

Locks are for honest folks, a set of bolt cutters, and 10 seconds, you are cleaned out.

No harm meant, just reality Ride and be safe.
Fair enough but your post just sounded kinda like a dad chastising his son.....I did say in my original post that if someone wanted to get in they still could. I just happen to disagree with your reasoning. A thief is a thief and I don't think locking something is quite the neon sign to crooks that you imply it is.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
stratowart
Banned

My bags already have a lock (leather covered hard bags) but it is a pretty good idea just for some level of "peace of mind" that you did what you could to keep grubby hands out of your stuff. The only thing I'd have done different would be to turn the hasp 90 degrees so the pad lock would hang in a more attractive position...but it's only 4 rivets so you could re-do if you wanted to. Might have gone with a pad lock with combination wheels on the bottom so I wouldn't need another key to keep track of.
stratowart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
FLogre

Thumbs up

Looks like a good idea there Corporal.

Think !'ll try that on my 1100. Just to try and help the Honest people stay honest. The real bad, or dumb, people are not going to be too worried about the damage or losses anyway.

And you are right there does seem to be alot of people on here that can only tell you how stupid they think you are. Of course they can never come up with a better solution either!?!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
FLogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Technical Information > Motorcycle Modifications