Need to get a spare key - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star

Old 12-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
mikes99ss

Default Need to get a spare key

I purchased an 06 v-star 1100 a little over a year ago and need to get a second key for it. My wife went to out local dealer and they said unless we can get the original bill of sale for it or the key code there is nothing they can do. (supposedly new yamaha rules) Well as you might of guessed on a bike that's 6 years old we have neither. So what can we do from here. Riding around with only one key makes me very nervous cuz if i lose it im screwed. As always thanks for the great help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	south dakota.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1324  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
2005vstar

I went to the local locksmith with my original key and they made me two copies without any hassle. I use to own an Ace Hardware store and we cut keys all day long without ever asking for any proof of ownership.
2005vstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
tice

As long as it does'nt say "do not duplicate" then a spare can be made for it.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Sick Mick

My local Ace Hardware made several copies for me. Tell the dealer to take a hike. There is nothing special about the key and they have them on the rack at the hardware store.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
danceswithdingoes

There are dozens of key blanks for the XVS on Fleabay
danceswithdingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
redcat

Same as above. Bought two key blanks on line (my two local hardware stores did not have a suitable blank - not too surprised). When I went back a week later with two blanks, they cut them with no problems.
redcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
Sugar Bear

Well guys, things have sure changed from years past! Used to be you had to prove that was YOUR bike before they would cut a new one for you. Better now? You call it Ride safe.
Sugar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Dirk Diggler

Same issue with me. One key came with used bike purchased. Took in original key, got 2 copies made(no questions asked) and out the door happy. Free cutting to boot. At a Yamaha dealer. Only 2 months ago.

Makes no sense to me that they wouldn't copy the key when you have the original. Only guess is they don't cut keys, only replace with factory cut ones with code.
Tons of Kuryakyn chrome accy's
Vance and Hines Classics exhaust
SS Chubby pod kit
Barnett clutch
Blue L.E.D's
Custom aluminum wheels
Hard bags/touring trunk w/quick release
National Cycle Switchblade windshield
Cycle Sounds Series 2 audio system

Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 12-19-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star