2007 Vstar 1100 custom - Starter Clutch Issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Technical Information > Engine Work

Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Chillbman

Default 2007 Vstar 1100 custom - Starter Clutch Issues

The bike has 13k miles

So i have determined that my starter is working and i still have the problem with the starter free spinning when installed.

I'm guessing now it's the starter clutch

My question is, i read somewhere that i should also replace the gear idler 2 and the bearing, will i be able to check if i need to replace the gear idler 2 after i take apart the bike? will the damage be visible? i'd like to hope that it is still in ok shape and only the bearing and starter clutch needs to be replaced. That will save me $100

anything else i need to check or look into when attempting to replace/repair it?

i do have short custom pipes, does that play an issue? i don't think the bike has been jetted since the pipes have been put on.

i read i need to check the timing on the flywheel and the tps?

appreciate your time and any input you can give
Chillbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
SparkyD

15k on my 2005 and no problems with starter (yet)

There is a thread in this forum that goes into good detail of what parts need to be replaced. Did you do a search for that thread?

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
SparkyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Chillbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyD View Post
15k on my 2005 and no problems with starter (yet)

There is a thread in this forum that goes into good detail of what parts need to be replaced. Did you do a search for that thread?
well, i'm used to older bikes.. and i didn't know these new bikes start to break if you give any throttle when you start them up

i'm pretty sure i saw the thread you're referring to and that is where i got most of my info, i'm just wondering whether or not you can tell if the idle gear 2 is damaged by just looking at it.

its 100% i need to replace my starter clutch due to me giving it throttle when starting and maybe my tps is off
Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
dave star

The idle gear 2 will be bad, You can tell by looking at it with it has any marks on it its bad.Heres a picture of a bad 1 and picture of parts you need.Yamahapartsnation.com has the kit for $295.Mine went out at 12000 miles. you need to replace the 3 parts behide the fly wheel thats the starter clutch if you don't replace all 3 parts it won't last.It might be cheeper to buy the kit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starter clutch.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1508   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1509  

Last edited by dave star; 03-07-2012 at 09:51 AM.
dave star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
DYNA118

Tim B @ Metric-Magic.com has been dealing with these for years and has the best prices for the parts.
DYNA118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Chillbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave star View Post
The idle gear 2 will be bad, You can tell by looking at it with it has any marks on it its bad.Heres a picture of a bad 1 and picture of parts you need.Yamahapartsnation.com has the kit for $295.Mine went out at 12000 miles. you need to replace the 3 parts behide the fly wheel thats the starter clutch if you don't replace all 3 parts it won't last.It might be cheeper to buy the kit
thanks Dave, but i believe its 295 for just the starter clutch itself, the gasket is $20 / idle gear 2 is $100 / gasket is $7

i'd really like to avoid getting the idle gear 2 if possible to save $100

if you could show me a direct link to the 2007 1100 vstar custom starter clutch kid, i would appreciate it. i cannot find it on that website, just the individual parts that add up to $450+

Last edited by Chillbman; 03-07-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Chillbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA118 View Post
Tim B @ Metric-Magic.com has been dealing with these for years and has the best prices for the parts.
thanks, i requested a quote from him
Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
dave star

Sorry about that Chillbman,Where i bought mine its $404. for the kit.I got mine for $350.They up the price $54.
07 v star 1100 Sliverado-chrome accessories-switch covers-master cylinder cover-fender tips-horn cover-headlight viser-skull levers. Trunk-extra break an running lights-Micks ssd kit-bikers choice tach-dwg speakers-chubby kit-lightbar--cobra pipes an crashbar-mustang set

Last edited by dave star; 03-07-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
Chillbman

Metric magic is charging 425 for everything

i heard that the starter clutch now comes as a kit with the bearing and idle gear 2
#99999-03908-00 part number
Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
dave star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbman View Post
Metric magic is charging 425 for everything

i heard that the starter clutch now comes as a kit with the bearing and idle gear 2
#99999-03908-00 part number
Thats the kit i bought .The picture on my first post shows all the parts you get,I bought mine from cucamanga yamaha
07 v star 1100 Sliverado-chrome accessories-switch covers-master cylinder cover-fender tips-horn cover-headlight viser-skull levers. Trunk-extra break an running lights-Micks ssd kit-bikers choice tach-dwg speakers-chubby kit-lightbar--cobra pipes an crashbar-mustang set

Last edited by dave star; 03-07-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Technical Information > Engine Work