Starter Clutch Problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star

Old 04-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
2wheelinfool

Default Starter Clutch Problem

Has anyone else out there had problems with their V Stars on starting? I have a 2006 V Star 1100 Classic, during the riding season last year I noticed a few times that when I went to start it, it would drag a little during start up. It acted almost as if the battery was low. I winterized it last fall, and summered it just last week. When I went to start it, it cranked over several times, and then a "PING" sound. After that when I try to start it the starter cranks, but not the engine. I took it to the Dealer and they said it needed a starter clutch kit at $475.00!!! They told me that Yamaha has listed this kit with a recall number, but has not actually officially determined it as a recall. The dealer also told me that there were three other V Stars in this Spring with the same problem. It sounds to me that Yamaha must realize that there is a problem, but at $475.00 per customer, just does not want to admit it!
2wheelinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
notfried

I hear ya. I bought mine in December and had to do a starter clutch assembly the second week of ownership. I agree, Yamaha should address this known problem, along with the mid shaft problems, too.
notfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
SparkyD

There is a thread in this forum that goes into detail about the starter clutch issues. I haven't had any problems with mine yet, Thanks to the good helpful folks on this forum i have a good plan of attack when the time comes, it will involve lots of crying, pouting and maybe some foul language too

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
SparkyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
dave star

I just replace mine last year.I got the kit for $350.an did the work myself.Bike had 12000miles
07 v star 1100 Sliverado-chrome accessories-switch covers-master cylinder cover-fender tips-horn cover-headlight viser-skull levers. Trunk-extra break an running lights-Micks ssd kit-bikers choice tach-dwg speakers-chubby kit-lightbar--cobra pipes an crashbar-mustang set
dave star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Ken S

Its a well known problem that has its own page on facebook its that common, check that your TPS is within parameters as that will kill the starter clutch.
Ken S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
oldride

Bought my 1100 a year ago with 21,000 miles, from the time I got it home it had all the classic problems found on the forums. Hard starting hot, kick back when starting and clunk shutting down. When on the freeway it acted like it was having an asthma attack above 70 mph. Then my starter clutch went out in January, while replacing it I found the timing marks and settings to be totally off. I went through and reset the timing and it is a totally different bike now. When hot it doesn't even turn over more that once before it's running. No kickback on starting. and the normal very slight noise when shutting down. I can't believe it was running as good as it was with the timing set so far off. It's really nice to regain that confidence after a long ride that it will start, instead of sitting on it wondering if it gonna start or not....

5EL-15590-00-00 STARTER ONE-WAY ASSY $283.10
93310-5720G-00 BEARING $21.95
http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com
Jardine ORK
Slip-ons

Last edited by oldride; 04-03-2012 at 01:09 AM.
oldride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
DonDar

Our starter clutch went out last Sunday, fortunately in the driveway and not the day before when we were 100 miles from home. Just dropped it off at the shop last night, the repair cost is right in the same neighborhood as 2wheelin said. I've worried about it happening for the past 2 years since we've owned it, and it finally did. At least it happened now and not in the middle of the summer, and I know it'll be fixed right so I won't have to worry about it any more.

Don & Darla

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
DonDar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
danman

I have had the same problem with hard to start both hot and cold since last year. I recently talked to a bike mechanic at my local shop here and he suggested that I turn up my idle and see if that would help the starting problems. Well its been three weeks now and the bike starts with one or two revolutions every time. hot or cold!! Im NOT saying that this is a fix, BUT if it will head off a expensive repair bill down the road then Im fine with that! My idel is now around 1000 to 1100 rpms. Maybe thats abit high for some guys but for me it sounds like money in the bank!!! Also when I shut down after a ride I only get that dreaded clunk half of the time now. just my 2 cents
barons ork
kuryakyn isso grips
breakaway cruise cont.
driver backrest
barons DT risers
oem passing lights
crome visors on all lights & signals
drag highway pegs
throwover saddle bags
sissy bar with rack
studded front and rear seats
studded gas tank bib with pouch
clocks for bikes- stem mount
Ram mount& hard wire for GARMIN GPS
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Sick Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman View Post
I have had the same problem with hard to start both hot and cold since last year. I recently talked to a bike mechanic at my local shop here and he suggested that I turn up my idle and see if that would help the starting problems. Well its been three weeks now and the bike starts with one or two revolutions every time. hot or cold!! Im NOT saying that this is a fix, BUT if it will head off a expensive repair bill down the road then Im fine with that! My idel is now around 1000 to 1100 rpms. Maybe thats abit high for some guys but for me it sounds like money in the bank!!! Also when I shut down after a ride I only get that dreaded clunk half of the time now. just my 2 cents
Yamaha recommends that the idle be at least 950-1000...if it's lower than that you risk damaging the upper end due to lack of oil.
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star