v-star 1100 high idle untill complete stop - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star

Old 05-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
stretchman

Default v-star 1100 high idle untill complete stop

OK first post on this forum. I got a 2000 v-star 1100 classic, very high idle while driving till I come to a complete stop, then it goes down to normal set idle after a few seconds. Ive seen this problem with my searches but haven't found solution. This will happen even if I jack the rear tire off ground, blip throttle and returns right to set idle, if I rotate the rear tire and blip the throttle it will stay high until I stop the tire. It is NOT the cables/choke sticking. If I unplug the speedo sender unit it goes away and operates correctly. I have purchased used parts and installed both the speedo censer and the cdi box thinking it was one of them having issues, (one of the wires are connected from senser to cdi) to no avail. I do not see how this could be a vacuum leak or exhaust leak, or jets clogged up. Any help or ideas will be appreciated, locale repair shop has no idea how these symptoms are related
stretchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
dave star

stretchman this is from a clymer book,incorrect carb synchronization or stuck chock valve or idle adjust screw incorrectly set
07 v star 1100 Sliverado-chrome accessories-switch covers-master cylinder cover-fender tips-horn cover-headlight viser-skull levers. Trunk-extra break an running lights-Micks ssd kit-bikers choice tach-dwg speakers-chubby kit-lightbar--cobra pipes an crashbar-mustang set
dave star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
stretchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave star View Post
stretchman this is from a clymer book,incorrect carb synchronization or stuck chock valve or idle adjust screw incorrectly set
Dave all those things would not be able to detect movement of the rear tire, if I'm just sitting there and blip the throttle it will return to set idle every time. If I push the bike even backwards and blip the throttle it stays around 1500-2000 rpm untill I come to a complete stop (not before) then it will drop down to set idle (a few seconds after complete stop). I can keep it rolling backwards with my feet and it will not come down to idle, untill dead stop then it returns to idle. Its crazy and dosnt make any sense to me. I also have sinked the carbs with my home made tube/oil gauge
Old 05-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Sick Mick

Have you checked or adjusted the TPS?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
stretchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
Have you checked or adjusted the TPS?
I did but it was a while ago I will check that again Thanks for the reply, sick!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
notfried

my '01 did that when I first got it. It ended up being a float sticking.
notfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
stretchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfried View Post
my '01 did that when I first got it. It ended up being a float sticking.
Notfried can you explain your exact problems And float sticking like not letting fuel in or letting to much fuel in?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
notfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchman View Post
Notfried can you explain your exact problems And float sticking like not letting fuel in or letting to much fuel in?

Mine was like it was letting too much fuel in. My floats weren't "floating"...or moving. They were stuck "up", instead of moving up and down, they were frozen. I would fire it up and let it warm up, then when I move the idle would be high until a couple seconds after I fully stopped. If I slowly rolled through a stop sign, it'd idle high or race, but if I came to complete stop it'd settle. And when creeping through my sub-devision it'd be high until fully stopped. Like it'd settle after the fuel quit "sloshing" around, or that's how it seemed. I freed up the floats and re-adjusted them and haven't had that problem since.
notfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
stretchman

Problem has been resolved, not sure what i did, well lots cleaned all connections, adjusted tps again that might have been 1/2 the problem, had to turn it all the way clockwise and remove a washer I had one it to get it to rotate far enough. Ohms were at 850 or so and book calls for no more than 840k. Thanks for all the input, Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Motorcycle Models > V Star