V Star 1100 Exhaust Modification - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Technical Information > Exhaust

Old 08-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
chitownfl

Question V Star 1100 Exhaust Modification

Has anyone done the following exhaust modification on a 2006 (or so) 1100 V Star? http://www.vstar1100.com/jack_phelps/vstar/exhaust.htm
It is basically cutting out the baffles. I am thinking about doing this until I can afford real aftermarket pipes and was looking for stories of anyone whom had already done this.
chitownfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
freedom1

I just did this to my 2001 1100 and it sounds great. Have only put about 100 miles on since and have found no issues with backfiring or loss of power. Looking forward to new pipes and re-jetting with a hyper-charger in the spring but this seems to be a great quick fix until I have the funds.
freedom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
vstarokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom1 View Post
I just did this to my 2001 1100 and it sounds great. Have only put about 100 miles on since and have found no issues with backfiring or loss of power. Looking forward to new pipes and re-jetting with a hyper-charger in the spring but this seems to be a great quick fix until I have the funds.
do you have to rejet your carbs. when you do this mod. to your exhaust?
vstarokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
freedom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstarokie View Post
do you have to rejet your carbs. when you do this mod. to your exhaust?
I have not re-jetted the carbs as of yet and have not found any performance issues. Actually feels like I have increased the power but might just be in my head. There is a little bit of backfiring but not excessive. I might go ahead and remove the AIS system to correct the backfiring but am planning on new pipes over the winter as the funds become available. Overall I am very satisfied with the results of removing these baffles as a temporary fix. Bike sounds great.
freedom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
081100vstar

I have done it on my 2008 1100 and I have had it done for around 3000 miles now and I didn't need a rejet or anything. Everything runs great I mean its no Cobra systems but it aint to bad either I also left my AIS system on the bike. I dont have some back firing every once in a while but over all i get a really nice decel tone as complimented by my buddy who rides a Harley Heritage with full Vance Pipes.
081100vstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
plugugly

the down fall to opening up your exhaust is that it also reduces back pressure. in other words you will lean the fuel that is running through your system that was designed for more back pressure. the leaner the fuel the hotter your pistons and valves will get if you continue to run like this you might burn up a piston or a valve do to extended use. i ran mine for a week after my exhaust modification. rejetted the carbs and have not been a bit sorry for it. you will see what i mean. good luck
plugugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
papagrizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugugly View Post
the down fall to opening up your exhaust is that it also reduces back pressure. in other words you will lean the fuel that is running through your system that was designed for more back pressure. the leaner the fuel the hotter your pistons and valves will get if you continue to run like this you might burn up a piston or a valve do to extended use. i ran mine for a week after my exhaust modification. rejetted the carbs and have not been a bit sorry for it. you will see what i mean. good luck
Howdy,

Back on a scoot after 35 yrs (04 1100 Silverado) I also did the above exhaust mod and after a brief test run I have found I lost a lot of power while under a load (going up hill). My first thought was I need to re jet the carbs. I asked the local Yamaha dealer about what size I should get, and his reply was " don't know, it will have to be done by trial and error".

Well that sounds a bit expensive and really did not answer my question. So if any of you out there can give this old fart a better idea, it would be more than appreciated.

Thanks,

PaPaGrizz
papagrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
linerdave

Default re-jetting

Does this help?

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...100jetting.pdf

Dave
linerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
papagrizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
Yes thanks Dave... I reckon I need to rephrase my question to:

Has anyone rejetted after the Phelps mod, and if so what size jets did you you for top performance?

I am also considering doing a DYI ram air intake mod. Would I need to take this into consideration when choosing the size of the jets?

Thanks to all...Outstanding forum!

PaPaGrizz
Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
081100vstar

Yes you would need to take it into consideration when doing the DIY RAM air mod anything that can potentially changed the air/fuel ratio. Things like opening up the exhaust and freeing up the intake will make it run different. Now i also had the DIY exhaust mod for a long time before i bought V/H classic 2 and i never experienced this lack of power you speak of. However if you rejetting with both mod's then i would consider using a 17 in front and a 14 in pilot. That is alittle smaller than my friend went on his when we opened the exhaust up alot and dragons breath intake we went with a 19 and 16. But those number we guesses that turned out to be good.
081100vstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Go Back   Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum > Technical Information > Exhaust