Any ideas - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Yamahajohn83

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Any ideas

Just found my battery cover is burnt where it sits by the exhaust any ideas on how to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1520205243098_1520205391985.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	78170  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 05:46 PM

Garage
Was it on all the way. Years ago on another bike my side cover vibrated loose and was close enough to melt it. I'm on an 1100 and side covers are different so can't help much. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 05:50 PM
KCW

Garage
that looks like the previous owner didn't have it pushed on all the way - there are two grommets upper right and lower left, and only the one bolt.

batteries only last about 4 years, so your battery has been replaced at least 3 times already.

Other than repainting it, I don't know what else you could do to fix it, other than replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the dealer replaced the battery when i bought it i was polishing the chrome and saw it was loose so i popped it back on thennnoticed the burn so not sure if i want to see if the dealer will replace it , or just tape it off and sand it down and paint it with high temp paint. Its not in a real visible spot so cheap fix instead of ordering another one. Thanks for the advice
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 06:46 PM

Garage
Just an idea. On the 1100 the voltage regulator is below the battery cover, very close to exhaust. I lined the inside of the regulator cover with aluminum foil AC vent tape, not regular duct tape. The aluminum foil tape is heat resistant and reflects heat. I used it to reflect heat away from regulator, since heat and regulators don't like each other. You might be able to attach a small strip on your burned cover. The tape looks just like chrome. Anyway, just an idea to prevent future issues and "hide" burned area with chrome behind the chrome exhaust. It looks like this:

And can be bought at any hardware store:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-1-88-in-...C-Tape/4009603

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode