starter bike for wife - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question starter bike for wife

My wife has decided that this may be the year she wants her own bike to learn and ride. She has been on the back of mine for years, so she has a general idea about the acceleration and leaning in curves and such. The clutch and brakes and all the other stuff will be new to her. My question is about which bike. I know there are 250's a plenty for her to learn on, but in my area, the used ones are going for the same price as used 650's. I think a 650 with a crash bar would be just fine, but she is concerned about the weight. She is about 5' 4" and about 130ish pounds, so I understand her concern. I have had both models of 650's before, so I know they are very balanced bikes. If we go with a 250, I am afraid she will "outgrow" it faster than she thinks (I know she will). If we go with the 650, I believe she will get used to it just as well as she would a 250. I just don't want her to be afraid of the weight so much that she doesn't want to ride it. I also know that a 650 will be of use for years before she will want to upgrade, not so with the 250. So the overall question is this, do I continue to try to convince her that the 650 is the way to go? Or should I give in to her fear of the weight and go 250? Thanks in advance for any input.

I don't have to have fast, I just have to have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:01 AM

Maybe do what I did.
I took my daughter to the shop, and she tried several bikes. This was all about weight, but not in the way you describe it.

She got on my bike, and was very impressed she could flatfoot my 950. But then she was very disappointed she couldn't even budge it off the kickstand at all.
Took her to the local shop, and she tried several bikes, and got a feel for getting them on and off the kickstands, where she previously only had her 125cc dirt bike at 190lb she was used to.
She handled the rebel 500 without any issues, said it felt as light as her 125cc (410lb vs 190lb). We didn't try a vstar 650 though, and she wouldn't try the bolt, since it looked too much like my 950 and she had in her mind it was heavy. My bike is raised so it sits far over on the kickstand.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 AM

Garage
Have her take the Motorcycle Rider Safety Course. (Assuming there is one close by.) There were several people who had never ridden a bike before. And the instructor(s) had them riding within minutes. Plus she'll realize that she will want a bigger big sooner then she realizes.
That said, I am a believe that if you are going to ride. Learn what you will want to ride. I have seen women who are smaller then your wife. Ride full dressers. Who are able to pick up the dresser if it is laid on its side. Just practice in parking lots. And practice. And practice.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My wife can stand my 950 up no problem, I think her concern is being able to hold it if it starts to go down at slow speeds or stationary with the kickstand up. Unfortunately scrum, I do not know of any courses around my area. So it will be me teaching her.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 AM

Garage
Then Blue, you two really think it is worth the spend of cash to buy a bike she will only ride for a year and then want a bigger ride?

I still think the better option is .... Practice in parking lots. And practice. And practice. And practice. Maybe get a tarp/blanket, lay the bike on its side and show her she can lift it back up. Sometimes it is better to let the bike go, then try to save it and pull a muscle. Tweak a back or eff up a knee. Besides, if she practices enough. She may be a better rider then you.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:33 PM
KCW

Garage
I think people put too much emphasis on being able to pick a bike up if you drop it.

Dropping a motorcycle is akin to rolling your car. Would you only buy a car if you were sure you could roll it back over off its roof into its wheels by yourself?

If you know how to ride a MC you should never ever drop it, unless you have been hit by another vehicle, or maybe had a tire blow out on the highway, and then getting your bike back up is not an issue, there is a good chance it will not be ride-able, or you will not be able to ride.

The most important thing is being able to sit on the bike with both feet flat on the ground with some flex still in your legs and knees, so you have some wiggle room with your legs. If a bike is so heavy that you cannot hold it up when its already "up" then you need a smaller and lighter bike. You should never need to put you feet down while the bike is moving. You always put the side kick stand up and down while you are sitting on the bike. Never push the bike around standing on one side, sit on the bike and duck walk it.

Im curious where you live where there are no MSF classes nearby, I thought they were everywhere. If she really wants to start with a small bike a Rebel 250 is used in a lot of MSF beginner classes, you can find them used low mileage for $1500 or less, because people do buy them for their first bike then move up. If you buy one new and sell it a year later you will take a bath. If you buy it used and sell it a year later, you might break even.

Another option would be a 125 or 250 dual purpose road/trail bike - they are usually really light, 200 lbs. The only drawback is with a bike that light you can develop bad riding habits, where you are horsing the bike around instead of learning to ride the bike and not be fighting it all the time.
Scrumdown and Scrumdown like this.

Last edited by KCW; 03-22-2018 at 12:35 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, may have found one to fit the bill. 2003 650 fully dressed, with just under 13000 miles. White/silver paint combo. The only thing this bike doesn't have done is aftermarket exhaust. Going to test ride it today.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 05:59 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Like was said above as long as she can put her feet down at a stop and is comfortable with the reach of the bars and controls, forget about the CC of the bike. Once that clutch is pulled in all the CC in the world makes no difference. All that being said, my wife started out on a Honda CTX700. They can be had for cheap. They are very light to get off the stand. If the clutch is an issue you can get them with an automatic. They are reliable as hell. Again they are cheap to find because for some reason they did not take off. I loved riding hers as a different bike. She had the DCT model. The 650 is a great bike. You know you can't go wrong with a Yammy. Now my wife has 3 Harleys. A Fatboy with a 98 Ci engine and stage 1 kit and a 2018 Street Glide that weighs 780+lbs. She is only 5'4". Maybe 5'3" I forget which. Anyway.. Everyone gets hung up on CC.. Get a bike that she is comfortable on and will do the type of riding you two (especially her) want to do. If all you do is stay in town then the 250 might be a good bike. If you two want to travel not so much. I personally do not like the 650 for travel as I feel it is at the high end of its RPM band and the sound annoys me. Other than that great bike. Hope the one you are looking at has full maint records.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 06:57 AM

I'm a firm believer in riding only what you can personally pick up, it is after all, a two wheeled vehicle and can drop on it's side whether while riding or while it's parked and the kick stand happens to sink into the ground. There is also an increased risk of this happening with someone just learning to ride so IMO it's worth considering. I would say the XVS650 is a great bike for learners because it's a reliable, pretty damned versatile, easy handling bike with a low center of gravity that can be pushed pretty hard (for a cruiser with limited clearance) on twisty roads yet is capable of highway droning all day long.
Mrdub, Mrdub, graybeard and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 03-23-2018 at 07:05 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 09:55 AM

Garage
I second Diogenes415.. The XVS650 or even a Honda shadow 750 both great starter bikes and keepers for some .Not something they will out grow easily.. and very useable on a highway or the back roads.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode