Leave yourself a way out - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Leave yourself a way out

I know this is old hat to some of you reading this but newer riders may benefit from it. Always, Always leave yourself a way out when stopped in traffic. We worked an accident over the weekend where on a 4 lane divided highway a tractor trailer was backing down the road. Have no clue why but whatever. A bike stopped behind the truck but the driver didn't see him and backed over him and the bike. He suffered severe injuries to his arm but he was lucky. Now I don't know where the bike stopped or exactly what happened here but my assumption is that he couldn't get the bike out the way of the truck fast enough. When the bike first stopped he may not have been in the truck drivers field of vision. I'm not saying the biker did anything wrong, this accident was clearly all to blame on the truck. I'm just putting it out there to remind everyone to not stop real close behind anyone, especially a large vehicle that may have trouble seeing you. Leave yourself enough room to get out should the need arise.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 01:07 PM

Garage
Absolutely. I have no idea why a trucker would be backing down a four lane highway, but from experience I can tell you those signs you sometimes see on trailers that say "If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you" are absolutely true, so it's easy to see how he wouldn't know the biker was there. One of my biggest pet peeves while driving trucks is having a four wheeler tucked in behind you so you can't see them. We're trained to be completely aware of our surroundings and having a car tucked into a blind spot like that is very disconcerting when you don't know they're there and they suddenly pop out. I've learned to look for shadows and other clues a car might be there, but that takes my attention away from the million other things I have to watch while navigating an eighty foot long, 13 speed, 80,000lb piece of equipment through traffic.

Anyway, rant over. I'm not trying to take away from the point of the post. From how you describe it the trucker was clearly at fault for backing up illegally, but I agree that you should always leave an escape route when stopped in traffic. And make sure you can be seen.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 01:37 PM
KCW

Garage
A couple people have stopped in front of me at a red light, and then started backing up. When you see the backup lights on a car turn on, dont blow your horn and wait to see if they stop, get out from behind that car.

But they are not the ones you need to worry about, its the car coming up behind you and not slowing down. They are the ones that will pancake you into the rear of the car in front of you.

Always leave at least half a car length between you and the car you have stopped behind, and stop your bike in the left side of the lane, pointed to the left of the car infront of you, so the instant you see you are in danger you can go around that car.

When all else fails jump off the bike, towards the curb if possible. Full coverage on my Vstar 650 is only $75 a year.

If someone totals my bike or forces me to jump off and drop it, Yamaha will be more than happy to build me a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:26 PM

Garage
Excellent points guys! My MSF course couldn’t stress leaving yourself an out enough. Having worked thousands of wrecks over the years as well, I couldn’t agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 07:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
A couple people have stopped in front of me at a red light, and then started backing up. When you see the backup lights on a car turn on, dont blow your horn and wait to see if they stop, get out from behind that car.

But they are not the ones you need to worry about, its the car coming up behind you and not slowing down. They are the ones that will pancake you into the rear of the car in front of you.

Always leave at least half a car length between you and the car you have stopped behind, and stop your bike in the left side of the lane, pointed to the left of the car infront of you, so the instant you see you are in danger you can go around that car.

When all else fails jump off the bike, towards the curb if possible. Full coverage on my Vstar 650 is only $75 a year.

If someone totals my bike or forces me to jump off and drop it, Yamaha will be more than happy to build me a new one.
75.00 a year in what state? i'm paying closer to 400.00 with a perfect driving record in ct. the 3,000 accessory coverage is only 50.00 so the policy is really 350.00 for liability, comprehensive, collision, and trip interruption with 50 mile towing

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:35 PM

Garage
http://www.steelmantransport.com/app...ycleclass2.jpg

This says it all.. Keep it in mind when riding near transports.. This is very similar for dump trucks and straight trucks too .
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 09:15 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
$75.00 a year in what state?
NY state, clean driving record, Progressive Insurance, MSF beginners course 10% discount. 60 years old. The fact that my Vstar 650 only costs about $3500 to replace is probably part of the low cost for insurance.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 09:18 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdub View Post
..... Keep it in mind when riding near transports.. This is very similar for dump trucks and straight trucks too .
That is part of the reason why I don't ride on Interstate highways with semi's and buses, unless I have no other way to get where I'm going.

Big rigs almost never drive on secondary roads.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:15 AM

Garage
If i'm on a 400 series highway ( equal to the interstate) I will say the right hand controls where i am a lot.. coming up to a transport I'll overtake one but I'll pass them like my bike is on fire LOL .. I hate being beside or behind them.. and I'll always try to be in the other lane in front of one. Too many 2 lane roads around here so passing a transport is a common thing on my nights out riding. Been hit by too many stones behind larger trucks that I'd rather put pavement between us. even if it means i can't pass I'll hang back about 5 car lengths or more to avoid thrown rocks..plus it gives ya room to accelerate and pass when it's clear
KCW and KCW like this.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 09:30 AM
KCW

Garage
You are right about the rocks. Every car I have owned in the last 20 years had the windshield cracked at least once from rocks on the highway.

The thing that will kill you is a truck throwing its tire tread. In the US they are allowed to use re-tread tires. Usually you can smell the rubber burning before it comes loose, and sometimes you can see it smoking.

If you are riding next to one when it flies off, it wont just kill you, it will take your head off.

Aside from all that, the appeal of riding a motorcycle for me is to be out on the open road, to enjoy the ride, the villages and towns and countryside that Im riding thru. Im seldom in a hurry to get where Im going, and riding on a giant runway with 3% grades and 1/4 mile radius curves is not something that I find enjoyable, or even interesting.

A two lane asphalt road with no centerline winding thru the hills and mountains, forests and streams, is my idea of motorcycle bliss.

An added benefit, at 60mph or less, my 650 with no windshield is perfect for the task.

Last edited by KCW; 05-15-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode