New/older Rider - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes
  • 6 Post By Rufus49
  • 1 Post By NorthernRider
  • 1 Post By redcat
  • 2 Post By Rufus49

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
New/older Rider

Greetings, from Yuba City CA (45 miles north of Sacramento). I started riding when I was 15 1/2 and rode for nearly the next 10 years, except for sometime in the USAF, but stopped after a pickup crossed the white line and we collided head-on at about 30mph. I received a dime size carpet and a destroyed motorcycle but will never forget the sound of my helmet scraping down the asphalt.

Fast forward many years, I'm 69, and I realized some changes must come about after a great loss. I decided to ride again so I can see all the places that I could only pass-by as a truck driver. All during the time I was driving I filled in on working on everything from lawn mowers to 18 wheeler's. To say the least, and with modesty, I understand how mechanical objects work.

When I started my motorcycle search I was interested in a touring bike, after riding a few I realized I needed a bike with a lower seat height so I switched my search to a cruiser bike. I have ridden Harleys before and always preferred sportsters so when I saw the Yamaha V-star I was hooked (sorry Honda all the rest). I imagined buying a 1100 or 1300 classic, but no! I kept being drawn to the 650’s. I realized from my short tenure as a car salesman, buying iron is not a rational decision.

I finally pulled the plug on a 2005 Yamaha V-star midnight custom, pictured below. I realize the fuel limits but I'll use the phone app Waze for finding fuel stops.

I chose StarBike forums as it is an active, friendly and knowledgeable place. I hope to meet many of you on the forums and a few in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vstar5.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	82428  
bevo1981, redcat, lesblank and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:01 PM

Garage
Welcome from Houston, Texas. There are many here with simular stories, ride long time ago, so time off and now back in the saddle. Good looking bike and very reliable. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ms-bike-month/

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ighlight=Yammy

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...where-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...enced-you.html

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ature-you.html

Ride often and safe.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 12:44 AM

Garage
Nice bike. My biker experience is quite similar to yours except that I somehow always had a bike in my garage. One day a guy gave me a 70's Honda 350 CBT with only about 1000 miles on it. I sold the bike for 400 dollars to buy a 1983 V-Star 920 cc model J which was real nice. I did not ride these bikes very much because I did not have the budget to fix them up properly. Last year, I bought a V-Star 650 Classic and I love it. Next year....I may even get my licence to ride motorcycles. I'm 71.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
I'm 69, and I decided to ride again
Awesome and welcome from Minneapolis.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:12 AM

Garage
Welcome from Atlantic Canada, Rufus. Great choice on your bike and on finding this forum. It really is the most active and friendly forum I've ever been a part of. I'm one of the people Les mentioned who got back into riding after a long hiatus. Like you I've been riding since I was very young but marriage, mortgages, and kids left me without one for a long time. I finally got back into it on an 1100 and in 2 years I've got about 16,000 miles on it. I'm only 54, but I'm loving every time I can throw my leg over it and hope I can still do it for many years to come.

I was also a long hauler driver and I can relate to being everywhere and seeing none of it. I'm hoping to move up to bigger bike soon so my wife and I can start doing longer tours in more comfort so I too can check out some of the places I've been. Anyway, like I said, welcome and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about your new ride.
lesblank likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:40 AM

Garage
Welcome. 57, and stated riding 9 years ago. About 6K miles per year. I agree, this is a great site and, as you said, "it is an active, friendly and knowledgeable place".
lesblank likes this.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 07:27 AM
KCW

Garage
Congrats on your new ride. Yamaha has produced several motorcycles at are perfect, in the aspect that I cannot think of anything they should have done differently. The Vstar 650 was one of those.

I got my license when I was 54, after asking myself "why dont I have a motorcycle license and what am I waiting for?!"

I recommend you take the MSF beginners riding course. Even though you are not a beginner rider, the classes will give you decades of lessons learned from the experience of thousands of riders and instructors. Its a 3 day course, half the time in the class and the other half practicing on their bikes in a big parking lot. Its about $250 to $300. The first time you do not drop your bike, because of things you learned in the course, it will have paid for itself. Then next 10 accidents you avoid after that are all frosting on the MSF cake.

I dont understand what "a dime size carpet" is. Im guessing that autospell changed one of your words, but I got nothing... a scar maybe?!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:40 AM

Welcome neighbor from Sacramento, Ca.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and encouragement.

• KCW: I’m planning on taking the MSF course soon, depending on the weather. In meantime I’ll be doing a lot of parking lot riding. “a dime size carpet” should have been, “a dime size carpet burn”.

• A special shout-out to the Canadian riders. My wife was Canadian.
lesblank and NorthernRider like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode