New rider concern - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 AM
KCW

Garage
the biggest drawback to having a windshield on a motorbike is when its hot and sunny, and you are sitting in dead air cooking in the heat or sun

the way most touring bikes deal with this is to put ports in the windshield you can adjust to let some air thru, or there are flaps on the side that direct some of the laminar flow off the edge back in towards the rider

even a flap the size of a popsickle stick will throw a surprising amount of air in at you.

the only thing Ive found I can do while riding is stick my knees out sideways, to throw some turbulant air in on me. That gets tiresome after about 10 minutes.

Your suggestion about flipping the windshield downside up gave me an idea I have never seen done: sometimes people get a bike or a windshield, and its too short. You could certainly take two short windshields and stack them on their mounting brackets, using the spaced out holes to make it tall when you want, or short when they are 100% sandwiched over each other. It would be a bit tedious to adjust.

I think if you put it back where the saddle bag goes, horizontal, it would act like a tail on a plane and might make the bike squirrely.

Most of the time, if the weather is above 50F, and Im not riding all the way on the interstate, the windshield stays in the garage.

Last edited by KCW; 04-20-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That makes me think a little maybe I could figure out a simple way have a windshield when you need it but stows away when you don't maybe even switch while riding, opaque and without much frame work to block view or distract, holds up to wind and weather but wouldn't make rider damage worse, can't rattle around, perhaps entirely removable quickly and without tools. This will require some thinking.
I may figure something out but I probably won't get it built, yay more unbuilt ideas.

Safety First, Comfort Second, Speed Always.
Consider, your decisions often affect others more than you.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:44 PM
KCW

Garage
I think I mentioned in an earlier post, an unexpected alternative to a windshield is a drivers backrest.

With neither on a cruiser bike, at 75mph if you let go of the handlebars you will be blown off the back off the bike, you are holding on as if your life depends on it.

With a drivers (odd word on a MC) backrest you are secure on the bike at any speed. The wind blast does not beat you up so much, because you do not have to fight it all the way with your grip on the handlebars, you can relax and just steer with easy pressure on the grips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That is possible but not very elegant and add a deal of drag to the bike, also not feasible with a passenger, unless it folds or slides together, and one would have to still pull over to mount it, which is a minor inconvenience, but by far the simplest you just need to set up a quick release, which are already manufacturer and a set of mounting brackets on to a spare back rest assuming you already have a seat with the back rest inserts.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:12 PM
KCW

Garage
a drivers backrest is not like a passengers backrest

usually a drivers backrest is smaller than a football, and gives support to the small of your back

its surprising how much it lets you relax your lower back muscles, so its not like you are sitting on a bar stool all day

they are usually permanently installed, and do not have to be part of the drivers seat

being able to lean back against a passenger works too, as long as the passenger has a back rest, so you both cant fall off the bike at 80mph

I know a drivers backrest looks odd, sticking up on the bike when you are not riding it
I never sit and look at my bike when Im not riding it.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've seen seats with removable rests for the rider and for both but that would start to get expensive.
KCW likes this.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:49 PM
KCW

Garage
that is correct

my cousin has a great back rest on a late 1970s Honda 750/4. It slides on rails all the way back for the passenger, or all the way forward for the driver, and locks down with thumb screws. I would love to have one for Ursa.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That sounds pretty useful, I like this one better https://sscustomcycle.com/product/lo...ckrest-yamaha/ but that is expensive compared to the more priority "upgrades" I'm wanting.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:07 PM

Maybe you posted it and I missed it, but what kind of bike do you have? I have a vstar 650 seat with backrest for the price of free if you're interested in it, just pay the shipping.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have an older 1100 but I'm considering sticking with what's on it for a while

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode