Looking to upgrade - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

No longer looking to upgrade because I have

I currently ride a 93 Yamaha XV535. This is the first bike I have every owned. I bought it knowing that is was just to learn on and one day I would move onto a bigger bike. That day is coming soon. I hope to move up to an 1100 or a 1300. I have done test rides on Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki and saved Yamaha for last. I rode a 950, which was ok, rode an 1100, fell in love with it, and still have to ride the 1300. A knee operation is delaying that test ride and my final decision. I found this site and it has been very helpful in making my final decision. I look forward to taking my first long distance (more then 70 miles) ride on my new bike this summer.

Thanks in advance for any guidance or assistance that might be provided.

Just got a 09 V Star 1100 Silverado and love it. Still have a 93 Virago XV535 and love it as well.

Last edited by Dirtballx2; 04-12-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: I upgraded to a new bigger bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:20 PM

Every month or two someone wants advice on the bike they are going to upgrade to. Price has been left out and other than a tour, no information. Without anything to go on, if you really want a bike you can fall in love with, get a well-operating but used XVS 1100 V-Star. If you want a bargain on a bike and don't mind the look of water cooling, get a V-Star 1300 which is competent for just about everything. If you like air cooling, get a 950T for a bike that is very well balanced and has a lot of extras. If you want the largest amount of extras available, there's nothing like a V-Star 1100. Decide on Classic or other model, though. Cast wheels help in one area: tubeless tires.--Zioo

zioo
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Zioo,

Thanks for the advice. All three (950T, 1100 and 1300) are right in my prices range. I just have to test ride a 1300 before I make my final decision. I am leaning towards the 1300 for size comfort from what I have read. Most of my travel is on interstates so I think the larger bike would handle the cross winds and buffeting from traffic better.

Just got a 09 V Star 1100 Silverado and love it. Still have a 93 Virago XV535 and love it as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:51 PM

Tough choice

Dirtball,

My amateur opinion. The 1100 has that traditional look, a proven bike has been out for a long time. Lots of after market accessories and mods. Carburetors easer for some people to work on. Shaft drive.

950 about the same power in a slightly lighter bike with lower seat and center of gravity. Slightly smoother. Newer bike better balanced not as many accessory's. Fuel injected more modern smoother motor. Belt drive.

1300 Never rode one. But I read and hear it is in that newer smoother fuel injected design. Slightly heaver and bigger motor water cooled. I lean toward the bigger bike. I believe it also has the lower center of gravity and balance of the newer bikes. Belt drive, four valves per cylinder.

You might go to starmotorcycles.com and compare features. In the end only you can decide.

Dave
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Listen to Dave, he always makes sense, I run an 1100 and love it, but that's me, the end choice will be yours. When you get "THE FEEL" you will know it's THE one. All are good, what fits you best?

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Dave and Sugar,

Thanks for the advice. I have not fully settled on a bike until I ride one or two more models. Luckily, the local dealer is great and limits test rides to about 45-60 mins. He lets you get a great feel so that you are comfortable before you buy. I rode the 1100 and 950 the same day. 950 was nimble and quick but I liked the feel and ride of the 1100 better so for now that is my choice. Hopefully weather around here is nice in a week when my knee feels better and I can ride the 1300. I plan on riding it and the 1100 back-to-back so I can compare them. That is how I narrowed selection down before. Rode Honda, Suzuki, Kawa and Yamaha all same day and all about the same size. That sure helped to clear up any confusion I was having.

Thanks again and I will post pics when I make decision and ride the bike of my liking home.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:58 PM

I have a 2000 vstar 1100 custom, put over 2000 miles on it since i bought it recently and like it very much. I havent had any trouble with it yet. It is smooth, starts easily, well balanced , and has many accessories. I have heard they stopped selling in US this year, but parts and service are still availalbe. I like it, enjoy your test drives and making the decision, they are all good bikes and will serve you well. enjoy and ride safely.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Vstar23,

Thanks for your response. I saw where it appears that the 1100 is no longer being made for 2010. That concerns me some as I hope this is my bike for a long time. I have been laid up after some minor knee surgery but am on the road to recovery. I will post pics of the bike I select when that happens but might not be for a month or so. Darn the rotten luck

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Update: Knee healed enough for me to do some test rides. The dealer was great about them. He filled up any bike I wanted to ride and said see you in an hour on each one. I took a 1300 out and OMG what power it had, very responsive to the smallest movement on the throttle. I liked it but just could not get comfortable on it. Then I took the 1100 out again and the hour flew by. So the 1100 has selected me. I am waiting on word on financing (not from the dealer) and hope to get my new bike in the next week. I will put up some pictures when I ride home. Thanks to all for the advice and words of wisdom. They helped allot.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Congrats on your new ride! I feel you made a good choice, if you come to love your 1100 as much as I do, you will be one happy guy. Have a great and fun riding season

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode