Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Looking For Recommendations on New Bike Purchase

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Sugar Bear 
#1 ·
I have narrowed my new bike purchase to 3 bikes:

2009 Yamaha Silverado 1100, 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LT or 2009 Honda VTX 1300T.

I like the chrome look and the seat height on the Silverado however do not like that it is not EFI nor belt driven.

The Kawasaki is EFI however not keen on water-cooled nor 900cc.

The Honda is nicely chromed however it cost more and is also a driveshaft.

I'm leaning towards the Silverado however some of the reviews I have read on the internet about how this bike rides is not appealing, therefore need your inputs...

I have found an 09 Silverado 1100 for $8k plus tax at a dealer. Seems to me this is a great price for this bike.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Recommendations

I recently had the same delimia. I test rode all three bikes that you mention. I like some about each one but I truly found the 09 Silverado to be the best fit for me. I say if you found one for $8K, buy it but that is just me. I do suggest that you test ride each one, one right after the other and sleep on your final decision.

#4 ·
Hope this helps

What I did was ride the ones I liked back-back-back, then thought about it a few days and rode them again back-back-back. Lastly I asked myself which one I enjoyed the most and which one did I see myself riding in two to four years. I found that I spent more time on the Silverado so that was my choice. You will just have to choose what you like best. I had many people throwing inputs at me and most of them were what they would ride. Remember, you are the one that is putting your butt in the seat so only you can make the decision.

#5 ·
So true; unfortunately the Silverado is located 1.5 hrs one way from my location...seems that I will have to make a trip to ride one. The Honda VTX1300T is approximately 1 hr away, different direction. At least you have helped me into narrowing it down to 2 bikes. Will find the time to drive down to both locations and hopefully ride them both. Some dealers around here won't let you ride a new bike.
Thanks again for your responses.

#8 ·
My 2 cents

ABN1SG,

You will not go to far wrong on any of your choices.

For what it is worth I had an 1100 Silverado and disagree that it is not a good handling bike. Yamaha's newer designs do have a lower center of gravity and balance but nothing wrong with the proven 1100 V Star. You are right it is not injected and is shaft drive. A belt puts a little more power to the pavement, but had no qualms about shaft drive. Lots of mods and accessories are out there for the bike. I moved up to a 1900 but no complaints other than at higher highway speeds vibration shows up in the mirrors. Air turbulence behind the windshield was solved with lowers.

Have never ridden a 1300 VTX but they look good and have a good reputation. The people I know that have them like them. Don't know anything about the Kaw.

Dave

#9 ·
My 1 cent worth

I have a Silverado and a Custom . I looked at the brands and had the same feelings . Yamaha Silverado in my opinion is best bang for the buck . The 1100 delivers good power and good handling . The only draw back as mentioned before , but is easily remended is the oil filter ( pipe has to come off ) . A $300 relo takes care of that . I wish I'd of paid more attention and I may have bartered with the Dealer to have one installed , and the pre-paid 600 mile service may also be an option so you don't get walloped after the first 600 miles.
Ride Safe

#11 ·
Good morning Dirtball,

Yes, decided and purchased the 09 Honda VTX 1300 T after many reviews, recommendations and suggestions. I got a better deal on the price on the Honda plus a real good buddy of mine has a 1300 VTX and told me that he really enjoyed his bike and the way it rides.

Also I was able to test ride the Honda and the Yamaha dealer would not let me; said he did not have any demos. All in all, at least these 2 bikes are in the top 2 choices of most people that I have talked to. I don't think I would have gone wrong with either bike. The oil filter issue also swayed me to the Honda since I like doing my own maintenance.
Thanks to all for your input.
Ride safe.

#12 ·
Happy you got what you wanted, the 1100 oil issue is so easy to correct, but that is a moot point now that you have the Honda. Sugar Bear has a heart so close to Yamaha and has forever, but that is just me. Honda does put out a super quality product, if I didn't love air cooled and shaft drive so much, I might even look at Honda:D Have Fun and Ride Safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.