Does your dealer let you test ride before buying? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Does your dealer let you test ride before buying?

I purchased my first bike a year ago and had to buy it with out test riding it. I wasn't extremely happy about that but bought my Vstar 650 Custom anyway. After flipping through the forums on here, is this an abnormal practice? We only have 4 dealers in the metro area, 2 yahmaha/suzuki, 1 honda and 1 HD and none (well I didn't look at HD) would allow a test ride.

Thoughts? I'm looking to trade my 650 in if the dealer will give me a good deal on trade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:42 PM

Test ride

It may depend if they have bike with miles on it. I did test ride a Liner before I bought one. The ride is probably why I bought it. But, the one I bought had zero miles. If they have a new bike on the floor with zero miles I don't think they will let you ride it.

Dave
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Test Drive

I have purchased 2 bikes in the past 23 months. 2007 Majesty 400 and I just bought a new 2009 V-star 950 Tourer. The dealer let me drive both right off the floor. I traded the Majesty for the 950.
I didn't drive them very far, but the sale of both bikes were subject to driving them. There is a Yamaha dealer 12 miles from my house, but I drove almost 80 miles to the dealer I purchased from. They are great to deal with and I feel I got a great price on both the purchase and trade of my first bike. They even send me birthday cards. The local dealers just don't want to deal as much as the dealer I bought from. They also had a better selection. The dealer is Promotor Sports of fond Du Lac, Wisconsin. They havea huge stor and cary Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:59 AM

The local dealer here insisted I test drive the bike before he would sell it to me - no complaints here!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

i visited 3 different dealers before i bought mine in Austin and none allowed test riding before buying
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 04:08 AM

Test ride

Lots of dealers have open house days where you can test ride a new model but that is usually in the spring, my local dealer insists you test ride before you buy whether it be a yami or harley its like buying a car you're not going to purchase until you test drive. My 06 Stratoliner was in for warranty problem and they lent me a 10 Stratoliner Deluxe well they knew what they were doing because the next day I went in and traded for it. Bottom line insist on a test ride if the dealer says no can do then find another dealer that will and you and the dealer will feel better in knowing you purchased the right bike for you.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 AM

My wife and I bought our '02 V-Star 1100 Silverado in February of this year. Lots of snow at that time. We saw the bike, fell in love with it, and had to have it. The dealer wrote on the contract "final sale contingent on favorable test ride", since we couldn't exactly test ride it then (no provisions for skis on the bike, not even the Silverado). Anyway, he made sure that we liked the ride a month later before we signed the final paperwork. I don't know what their policy is on new bikes, though, since I haven't been in the market for one. Yet.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm well next time I'm in the market for a new/used bike. I'm only a year into my first bike (vstar 650 custom) but am already looking/drooling for over the 950 so I've got some time.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:45 PM

I drove my dealers personal Strat before I bought my Roadliner. But, he is a good buddy of mine.

Every time I have sold a bike privately to someone I did not know, I had them bring me a certified cheque for the full amount before they took the bike out with the understanding that if they bring it back with so much as a scratch, they bought it. If it came back the same way it went out, and they did not want it, they get the cheque back. Then I would follow them in my car to make sure they did not abuse the engine or transmission.

If they did not agree to my requirements, they did not get the bike.

Rocky

Cranbrook BC Canada

- Roadliner -
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skotman View Post
I purchased my first bike a year ago and had to buy it with out test riding it. I wasn't extremely happy about that but bought my Vstar 650 Custom anyway. After flipping through the forums on here, is this an abnormal practice? We only have 4 dealers in the metro area, 2 yahmaha/suzuki, 1 honda and 1 HD and none (well I didn't look at HD) would allow a test ride.

Thoughts? I'm looking to trade my 650 in if the dealer will give me a good deal on trade.
BMW and HD usually allow test rides, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki usually do not. But there are exceptions both ways.

If you live anywhere in the South East, Bikeweek in March and Biketoberfest in October at Daytona has factory test rides from most of the manufacturers every year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode