Raw Rookie help - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Raw Rookie help

New guy here.
Can't get any more green than me!
50+, 6'-1", 200lbs
If some things pan out, thinking of getting my first bike.
No idea what it should be.
Yamaha or HD are my choice for whatever reason.
Love the Roadstars and Fatboys.
But, from what I've researched so far, maybe a V-star or Sportster 883 might be a better starter?
Want something for evening/weekend slow/safe/rumble arounds.
Hopefully will be able to get the wife to go two up at some point.
From what I've seen, seems like 2000-04 fall in the expected budget range.
Any helpfull info/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Glad you joined up to the best forum I have found. To your question, I been ridin since the early 60's and for the money and quality, it's really hard (imho) to beat Yamaha. I ride an 1100 Silverado (classic) and am very happy with it, it does what I want, when I want. Wifey rides most all the time when I go except trips, and it has served us well. Whatever you choose, have fun with it and Ride Safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Welcome

I'm sure you will be happy with either. As to should you buy a smaller bike first to learn on? My opinion would be no. You will just wind up trading later. Once you get moving the weight of the bike no longer matters. Only at very low speed and when stopped. If you do decide to buy a starter bike to learn on buy a used one so you don't loose a bunch of money when you trade.

I had an 1100 for a year good bike, traeled some on it. I traded for a Stratoliner, love it too. Rode a Road Star once, friend of mine has one. He likes it, Great bike. Oh did I tell you I like them all? Of the ones you mentioned I would go for the Road star. But just in case don't rule out the Liner.

60% of the bikes sold are Harley's so I'm sure you won't be dissapointed there either. But I like the reliability of the Star bikes.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

for your size and wanting to ride 2 up for easy casual rides i would suggest a bigger bike as well. it will provide a little more power to carry your weight better and feel like a more stable bike.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

The more I'm reading, it seems the HD Sporty might not be the way to go.
Used 2002-06 V-Star 1100's seem to be right in the range of my expected budget. From what I'm hearing, this may be a good bike to start on. Then maybe move up to a Heritage or Roadstar in a couple years?
Any comments on the 1100????
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:18 AM

I have an 1100 V-Star and love it. As I tell everyone it sounds like a Harley (aftermarket pipes) Looks like a harley but was a third the price. For my money the star was the way to go.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:51 AM

My wife and I have an '02 V-Star 1100 Silverado purchased this year. We have a combined weight of +/- 340lbs (good thing she doesn't read the forums ). Of the 6000+ miles that we've put on the bike, about 80% of that is 2-up and we've had zero complaints. It has plenty of power with both of us on it and handles very well. Got a great deal on it, too. I'd definitely recommend it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:04 PM

I had an 1100 for a while. I also weigh 200 pounds. No problem riding 2 up. I did also take a long trip of 3,000 miles on the bike. No problem. I thought since I take long trips I wanted a bigger bike. It was not necessary, but it is fun.

If you buy a Yamaha the odds will go down that you will buy a Harley. But, today I did see a new 2011, 110 cubic inch, Ultral classic. (While on a ride.) It really looked good. All you or I need is $32,000.

Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:07 AM

Rookie help

EXNAUTI,

Welcome to the board.

First thing I would recommend is taking the MSF course. I did that last year. I road years ago but always borrowed my friends bike; never owned my own and never had a license. This was a great place to get hours of riding in a safe area with great teachers. It was a 3 day course Fri-Sun and well worth the money.

After having my license I set out looking for a bike; now you can test ride bikes. Never buy a bike with out testing them first. If you have any friends that are riders take them a long. A buddy of my actually test road a few bikes and gave me an honest opinion. I ended up buying a 02 Vstar 1100 which was a perfect bike to start on for me. I recently sold that bike and picking up an 06 Venture on Monday.

Personally I would stay away from the Sportster and I don't think that your wife would be very happy riding 2 up.

Keep us posted.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch guys!
Sounding more and more like the 1100's are a good target for my first bike.

BG Hawks - definetly plan on taking the Ma. Rider Education Program here in Ma.
I believe it's a (15)hr. course that also counts as your road test for the license.
My plan is to get a permit and look for the bike over the Fall/Winter and take the MREP when it's offered in the Spring.

When looking at the 1100's are there any years better than others or years to stay away from? Anyone have any good suggestions on things to look for on a used bike (things that may show signs of potential problems)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode