Washing the bike - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Washing the bike

Ok I have been riding for a month now and have been cleaning the bike after almost every ride. Clean the windshield and bugs off the front of the bike. I have used wax to clean and polish the chrome and painted parts.

My question is I would like to take it to the car wash and spray it down to get some of the harder to reach parts clean. Rear wheel and misc. black frame that has some dust and grime on it. Is there anything I need to watch for during spray down? Spots I need to avoid at all costs?

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 PM

I don't think you need the pressure of a car wash. I think all can be done without ever using the hose, but certainly faster to hose off the really dirty parts while using some cleaner.

As for getting things wet, I try to avoid the elctronics but let's not forget . . . these are machines designed to be used in the rain where everything gets wet (mostly us :-).

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 01:22 AM

S-100 works well on hard to reach spots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM

+1 for S100

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Dirt:
Holly - '93 Honda CR250

Street:
Vanessa - '04 650 Classic
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 AM

I use diluted simple green as a "pre-soak" then wash like normal. You can eat off almost any part of my bike most of the time.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken448 View Post
I use diluted simple green as a "pre-soak" then wash like normal. You can eat off almost any part of my bike most of the time.
Hey Ken448 .. when you get the motor up to temp, I'll take a cheeseburger please.

I wash with car wash/wax liquid soap and hand mitt. It is a PIA to hand wash a bike IMHO. But necessary evil. I use an air compressor with a rubber tipped nozzle to blow water out of areas I can't reach with a chamois to dry.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrzeye View Post
Hey Ken448 .. when you get the motor up to temp, I'll take a cheeseburger please.

I wash with car wash/wax liquid soap and hand mitt. It is a PIA to hand wash a bike IMHO. But necessary evil. I use an air compressor with a rubber tipped nozzle to blow water out of areas I can't reach with a chamois to dry.
I dry the bottom half of my bikes with a leaf blower. Makes short work of it.

How you want that cheeseburger cooked?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Bikes are made to survive plenty of water and MOST times they do it well, other times water gets in what are supposed to be waterproof connectors and create major headaches for a select few bikes from any company.
Personally for me, I would never take a pressure washer from a car wash and use it on my bike anymore then I would under the hood of my car. if there is a weak link someplace at some connector that is not 100% right, a pressure washer might be able to squeeze some water in there and your headaches will begin, again, for a select few.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode