how to avoid common accidents - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

how to avoid common accidents

just came across this great read. what i took the most from is trail braking and how to better avoid gravel or debris when going through a curve. take a look.

A Car Turns Left In Front Of You
You Hit Gravel In A Blind Corner
You Entered A Corner Too Fast
A Car Changes Lane Into You
A Car Hits You From Behind
Your Riding Buddies Are Idiots
You Locked The Front Brake
A Car Opened Its Door
It’s Slippery!

The Most Common Bike Accident
According to the 1981 Hurt Report — the largest study ever conducted on motorcycle accident causation — alcohol is a factor in 50 percent of all bike wrecks.

How To Avoid It: Don’t drink and ride.

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/10-comm...to-avoid-them/

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Last edited by bevo1981; 12-09-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

so are there any of you that would consider yourself proficient in using trail braking? any advice on how to do it?

on a steel horse I ride

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
so are there any of you that would consider yourself proficient in using trail braking? any advice on how to do it?
[YOUTUBE]Q-cPaXOmWyY[/YOUTUBE]

Better than I can say it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 AM

I will add that a I trail brake as part of my entry to every curve. I may hardly use the brake at all but, my goal is for the technique to be practiced and routine and, if I am a bit hot, for it to NOT be a sudden, grabby, panic move. I already have a finger on the front brake, squeezing just a bit, I've already compressed the front suspension a touch. From there, it's the same as every other control input; smooth as possible.

It will absolutely help smooth out your turning, be it a bad line you need to correct, rough road, what have you, as well as potentially save your ass if you are too hot and it will absolutely put you and your ride on the deck, instantly, if you screw it up.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

bump. an exceptional read for all, regardless of your experience level.

http://rideapart.com/articles/10-com...-to-avoid-them

on a steel horse I ride

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:41 AM

Very informative. One thing I am confused on and hopefully someone can answer...on the section where it talks about entering a curve too hot. It says hang off the bike and take lean out of it. I thought (within limits) the further you leaned the bike the better it would turn. If you are going too fast don't you want the bike to turn as much as possible? Or is it referring to having the bike more upright to allow for better braking?
Now I am going to look up trail braking because apparently it is something other than what I thought. Any good articles on trail braking out there?

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

https://rideapart.com/articles/how-to-trail-braking

i think it may be referring to people that try to lean their bikes into the turn too hard to match their speed, and this causes you to lose contact patch and the rear end to slide out from under you. i found that section a little confusing as well. still don't know what they mean by "hanging off", but the main point i got from that paragraph was not to over-adjust or make a big counter-change against the course the bike is already taking.

on a steel horse I ride

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 07:04 AM

Thanks, I found a few articles yesterday but will give this one a read as well.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 09:11 AM

Here is how I understand it. If you are going into a left hand turn you can lean your body to the left and that will actually let you make the turn with less bike lean. Much like motorcycle racers do. If you lean your body to the outside you would need more lean from your bike to make the same corner.

So if you go into a corner hot you can lean your body deeper into the corner which lets you push the bike a bit more into the corner. This should let you turn a tighter corner.

Take it slow at first when trying it. Depending on the bike it can feel like you are falling off.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
https://rideapart.com/articles/how-to-trail-braking

i think it may be referring to people that try to lean their bikes into the turn too hard to match their speed, and this causes you to lose contact patch and the rear end to slide out from under you. i found that section a little confusing as well. still don't know what they mean by "hanging off", but the main point i got from that paragraph was not to over-adjust or make a big counter-change against the course the bike is already taking.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbs View Post
Here is how I understand it. If you are going into a left hand turn you can lean your body to the left and that will actually let you make the turn with less bike lean. Much like motorcycle racers do. If you lean your body to the outside you would need more lean from your bike to make the same corner.

So if you go into a corner hot you can lean your body deeper into the corner which lets you push the bike a bit more into the corner. This should let you turn a tighter corner.

Take it slow at first when trying it. Depending on the bike it can feel like you are falling off.

Chris
Exactly.

Essentially what sidecar racers do with an extra person on the bike .

Kind regards, Wim

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode