gear and jerking - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

gear and jerking

Folks,

I'm very new to getting back into riding. I bought a bike a little while back (a star 950) and tonight I took it out for the first time. This was my first ride since high school so it was rough. The ride was short, a mile up the road to a convenience store with a short detour through a parking lot doing some low speed riding and back home.

One thing that stood out though, on the way home especially, was that occasionally, the bike would jerk back and forth with no throttle while in gear just coasting along. Is this a sign that I'm in too high of a gear for the speed? The way home tonight involves going down a really steep hill so there wasn't a need to give the bike throttle. I'd pull in the clutch a bit and the problem would go away. At one point I was in second and I downshifted to first since I was going at such a low speed. The bike jerked back a bit but nothing too bad.

I wish I could describe the issue more, but with this being the first ride in probably 15 years (probably more) it was a little overwhelming.

I guess the questions are:
1. How much use of the clutch is too much use of the clutch?
2. How do I know when to downshift?

Part of the problem is that this Vtwin just doesn't relay well, to me at least, when an upshift or a downshift needs to happen. It just sounds like it's motoring right along.

I'm kind of nervous to do stuff since I'm so focused on just not dying. My turns are too wide but that's probably just lack of confidence with leaning the bike or actually turning the handlebars at low speed. The weather will be nice again tomorrow and I'll head to a parking lot to do more practice. My motorcycle safety course is set for the first weekend of March.

Sorry for the ramble!
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 05:52 AM

I have a 1300 and it hates to idle in gear. I think it has something to do with how lean these things have to run nowadays? I am constantly engaging and disengaging the clutch if I have to idle through a parking lot.. These bikes do like some rpm's

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 AM

Garage
If the bike is jerking on coast then you are in to high a gear. The same thing happens in a car, if the engine doesn't get enough gas it let's you know it wants more. If the engine seems to labour at low speeds then its time to downshift and let the engine rev a bit higher.

You say you're riding right now with a focus on not "dying". Relax and enjoy the ride. Keep your head on a pivot and practise your defensive driving. Once you've taken the MSF course, you'll feel more confident and will get better with experience. Let us know how you liked the MSF course.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/

Last edited by Corsair; 02-19-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 06:45 AM
Banned

Welcome. I would recommend you find and take a rider's course like Total Control. They offer them throughout the country.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
If the bike is jerking on coast then you are in to high a gear. The same thing happens in a car, if the engine doesn't get enough gas it let's you know it wants more. If the engine seems to labour at low speeds then its time to downshift and let the engine rev a bit higher.
Mine will do it in first gear. If idle across a parking, you HAVE to clutch our give more gas. I believe this is one reason why people change to a fuel management system so they can richen up the fuel air ratio?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Ok! Good to know I didn't have some other problem but incompetent operation. I take the safety course the weekend of March 1 or 7th. I'm excited for that- everyone seems to love it. I've been reading at night, and I've realized that certain things that people say to do are really easy to ignore even though you wouldn't think so. Looking through turns for example. Last night I was so focused on not crossing the yellow lines in turns that I kept crossing the yellow line. Now that I am less spooked I'll focus more on that and just paying attention to the bike. I really felt like when I was 7 with my 3/4 face helmet on taking my big wheel 80 out for a ride though. The only thing missing was the helmet hanging off my head.

I think some more seat time will help me get a rhythm. I'll pay closer attention to the bike, it's sounds, and it's feel.

Thanks all!
Mike
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Banned

Two other good resources I recommend are 1) Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code (dvd or book) and 2) The Pace by Nick Ienastch found here: http://m.motorcyclistonline.com/flas..._nick_ienatsch

Happy safe riding!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man! I will be ordering those tonight!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 PM

Check the kickstand switch if you have one and make sure the kickstand is tight

2005 Suzuki Katana 600-first street bike SOLD
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750- CRASHED
2006 Suzuki GSXR 750- adrenaline pumper SOLD
2009 Yamaha Raider- current bike loving it
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I'll check that too. I know it works because the other day I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start and it was because I failed to raise the kickstand. I have a strong feeling it was sloppy rider operation though. However, I do need to learn all the systems for future service.

The kill switch features in the bike seem like a mixed blessing, but for me, I love them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode