For my first bike, 2007 V-Star 1100 Custom or a 2009 V-Star 1300? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Question For my first bike, 2007 V-Star 1100 Custom or a 2009 V-Star 1300?

Hello Everyone,

I'm just looking for some help on my decision on a first bike. As the title says, my decision is between a 2007 V-Star 1100 Custom and a 2009 V-Star 1300. For the most part, I've been told that either would be good for a first bike. With regards to power, I've also been told by a Yamaha sales person that the 1100 would still be strong enough for my 290lb frame to take on a trip from San Jose to Los Angeles.

On the other hand, I've also been advised to pick the 1300 over the 1100 since it's a much older engine technology that's been around since the mid-90's. Another advantage the 1300 has is liquid cooling, fuel injection and a belt drive. And with more power (I know it's only 200cc's more), I'll have room to grow into this bike.

Lastly, I've been told by another sales person that the V-Star 1100's gearing wasn't ideal especially for the open road. I'd like to hear comments on this as well.

Anyway, if you could give me pros or cons on either bike or even your opinion on which would be the better choice, please let me know. I'm pretty torn and would like as much help as I can get.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Hard choices

Kuyiwal,

There are just a bunch of satisfied 1100 V Star owners out there. I had one for a year put 12,000 miles on it maybe half that on the Interstates. Other than a lot of vibration, mostly just seen in the mirrors above about 70 MPH no complaints. I would not say it's gearing is wrong. I like that traditional look. It is an old design with carburetors. But a good design just the same. Reliable and with adequate power. I made several 500 and 600 mile days. The proven design has been around a while lots of accessories, mod's and advise would be available. With your near 300 lbs you would still get 100 MPH if you wanted to. I think the weight rating of the bike is near 450 lbs. I did however trade up to a Liner after 12,000 miles and one year.

Never rode a 1300 V Star so some of this is just hear say and reading. The 200 cc's doesn't tell the whole story. Since it is a more modern design, the weight is lower. The belt drive gets a small percentage more of the power to the road. The fuel injection gets a small percentage more power from the engine. I have never owned a water cooled bike so can't say much about that. But, air cooling is not a problem. If you ride two up or a lot of highway riding I suspect you would like the extra power. I don't believe the weight rating is much different on either bike and both are pretty conservative ratings. I see people over that often.

I would lean toward the larger bike but you won't be sorry either way. Buy what you want and what you can afford. Maybe consider most people that advise are biased. Either their own choice or profit. I agree either would be a good first bike and either could be around for a long time. But, many people trade up after a while from what ever their first bike is.

Dave
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyawil View Post
Lastly, I've been told by another sales person that the V-Star 1100's gearing wasn't ideal especially for the open road. I'd like to hear comments on this as well.
that's retarded. my apologies to any retards. i don't have personal experience on either of these models, but a brand new 1100 should perform as well on the highway as any other production model bike by yamaha. what does that even mean, 'open road'? it should have more than enough power for your size to go anywhere you want, as long as the road is still 'open'.

if this is your first bike, i would recommend the 1300. more power, belt drive, fuel injection, all advantages over the 1100, in my opinion. i think you'll have less to have to 'deal with' or maintain on the 1300.
Aunttudie and Aunttudie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks LinerDave and Bevo! Your opinions are much appreciated. By the way, this weekend, I went to the dealership again and this time, I revisited the Stryker. It's certainly different from the V-Stars as far as styling is concerned but after sitting on it again, I was suprised at how comfortable it was and how well it fit me. In fact, of all the bikes I've showed my girlfriend, she liked the Stryker the most. With that said, it has definitely put the Stryker on my list of possible first bikes.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, have any thoughts about the Stryker, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks again, cheers!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 03:08 PM

What you like and can afford.

The Stryker is defiantly a really great looking bike. If you are going to have a passenger you might consider letting her sit on it with you. To make my bike comfortable for the wife I added , back rest, passenger floor boards, and a much more comfortable passenger seat. Without floor boards passengers tend to burn boots on the exhaust. Without a backrest some have fallen off the back on hard acceleration. Stock passengers seats tend to be narrow and thin. No doubt some changes will be necessary no mater which bike you get. Even though it is not as striking a bike the V Star might be or have stuff to make more comfortable for the passenger.

But, buy what you like and if will be fine with me. Don't rule out a Liner. Big bike for a first bike, 750 lbs dry but with the low center of balance not as hard to ride as you might think. The over 100 ft lbs of torque at the wheel could get you in trouble and the stock passenger seat stinks. But, I really like my Liner. In the long run you will be happy with any of the bikes you talked about. The used 1100 might be a good start that you could get most of your money back if you decided to move up. You might be less upset if you scratched it.

Dave
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:06 PM

I ride a 1300 and it's all i need.

Been riding it since 07 when I got back into riding after a 30 yr hiatus

I can keep up with the bigger displacements with ease even when its 2 up riding with my wife.

The Stryker is a totally different animal from the 1300 in looks and style. It seems to be Yammies answer to Hondas' Fury. It may be a great bike for just the looks

If you're gonna do a lot of 2 up riding definitely look at the 1300 tourer

As always when this question is posed.. go with what you feel comfortable and can afford

Last edited by jefromvegas; 08-06-2011 at 10:08 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM

Get the biggest, meanest, prettiest and most comfortable bike you can afford. You will always be happy, that way. If you buy an 1100 you will urn for a bigger bike, especially if you do long trips.
I ride an 1100 Silverado and I love it. I go about 250lbs. I wish I had the cash to buy a Stryker, just for the looks.

My feet on the pegs and lots of time to go where the road leads.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 PM

If it were me, weight and any gear I may want to take....1300
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:03 AM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
That is a tough ? when you ask about a Star motorcycle.In my opinion the whole Star line are awsome bikes from the 250 through the Liner models.That sales guy didn't know his arse from a hole in the ground.Yamaha made these bikes to ride on city streets to the hiways and through the twisty mountain roads.Any model will give you a big smile and the need for more.As picking between the 2 bike is tough. I my self would go for the newer technology but on the other hand if your in to customizing then the 1100 makes a great project.Sorry not much help if I had the money and the place to keep them I would have 1 of every model.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 05:36 PM

At your weight get as much bike as your comfortable with since you're a newb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode