How about some suggestions on riding gear - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

How about some suggestions on riding gear

So I'm all new to this and as you well know there are as many choices or jackets, pants, helmets, etc. as there are bikes. I would like to hear some suggestions on what you guys like/dislike etc.
I'm not looking to break the bank here just average stuff. Any must have features or useless features to be aware of. Not looking for cold weather gear right now just some basic items to start with. Suggestions on where to buy as well including XL tall stuff.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 12:43 PM
krb

Boots, gloves and a helmet are mandatory IMO. And if the helmet doesn't have a good visor then add goggles to the mandatory list. The boots and gloves don't have to be anything special. Leather hiking boots that cover the ankles and a pair of leather work gloves are fine. "motorcycle" gear always seems to be black, and when it's the middle of summer you really don't want to be wearing black leather. Light colored leather work gloves without any lining are great for summer.

Ear plugs are a good idea too, especially if you use a half helmet that doesn't keep the wind off your ears.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM

Garage
Hi Summer,
My two cents worth is this. Figure up what you need for now and an approximate budget. There are as many places to shop now more than ever. Helmet wise, make sure its DOT approved and that it doesn't effect your peripheral vision. Jacket wise, for the warm weather make sure it breathes and doesn't have straps or zippers that flop around while riding. I use gloves all year round. I don't have a fairing so my hands are more vulnerable to anything that flies up and hits them. Ive bought several pieces of gear off of fleabay with no issues. You can always add more gear as you see better and better pricing. Again, just my two cents worth.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:10 PM

I love Leather up for reasonably priced gear

Annie
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:50 PM

Cycle Gear is my favorite place. They carry a budget , medium and premium line. Most of their stuff has a 5 year or more replacement warranty. A few pieces I have bought the cheep stuff then returned it and used the credit to upgrade. Lots of stuff to try on in the stores and much more online. RevZilla has a great online store with tons of product review videos.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 02:51 PM

Everyone has their own list for gear, but since you asked here is mine:

Warm Weather
Mesh riding jacket with armor & removable water proof liner. Removable liner also useful for cooler temps. I wear a Joe Rocket Jacket. Boots, ankle high. Gloves as necessary, leather, fingerless or with fingers as temp calls for. I always wear an armored jacket...or armored hoody when weather is a bit cooler.

Colder Weather
Heavier Textile jacket with removable quilted liner. Mine is Strength and Speed brand from Cycle Gear and I wear it down to 35-40 degrees and reasonably warm. Leather Chaps and full finger leather gloves or heavier gloves as the temps require.

Helmet
Open Face GMAX G67 without clear face shield, shatter resistant riding glasses in warm weather
Full Face helmet (from Cycle Gear) in cold weather.

Other than warmer under clothing I think that about covers it ... and me

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:42 PM

Garage
The only thing I could add to the list, depending on the length of your rides, would be rain gear. There are many brands and prices ranges but I wouldn't invest a great amount.

Working on my 'bucket list' and enjoying every minute of it!!

Old V Star Man
2007 V Star 1100 Classic
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 06:50 PM

Summer, I like www.revzilla.com . They have many many product videos and guaranteed exchanges for sizing that doesn't quite fit. IMHO, they are worth checking out even if you never buy from them. There product reviews and information answer questions you may not have even known to ask.

As far as gloves are concerned, I look at knuckles and palms. Knuckle protection mostly for what can hit you while riding and palms because your reflexes tend to leave you palm down trying to stop yourself while sliding down the freeway. If you can get decent comfortable protection suitable for the weather you're riding in, you've won the biggest part of that battle. And a fairing can certainly count for some of that protection. My 2.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 07:29 PM

A few guidelines I use for gear.

1) the more stuff between me and the road the better in an accident.

2) get the best you can afford. Limbs can be replaced.

3) more expensive isn't always better.

5) if it doesn't fit right, its not comfortable or its too complicated I won't use it.

6) gear in the closet is useless when you go down.

A mesh jacket might not be quite as strong ad a heavy leather and my military issue boots and jeans may not work as well as leather or track pants and touring boots but if its too hot or bulky or I can't operated the bike safely and comfortably the. What's the point. A comfortable mesh is better than no jacket.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 PM

Like others have said, Leatherup is a good place to shop just be prepared to send things back if they dont fit...I hate that. I would shop around locally if possible. My list is a GMAX 35s half helmet, River Road (I think) textile armored jacket, nice soft leather gloves with Kevlar knuckles (not sure of the maker) and River Road boots. About the only thing I wear all the time are the boots and helmet. I rarely wear gloves and the jacket unless its cold out like today. Where I would spend the most money would be in the helmet and jacket.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode