What do you do with your gear when you stop? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

What do you do with your gear when you stop?

OK new to this whole thing and wondering what you do with your gear when you stop. Granted if I'm just stopping for a soda @ the convenience store I'm just gonna lay the helmet on the bike and leave my jacket on but what about if your are inside longer? If I stop for dinner or something I can take my jacket and throw it beside me in the booth, but what if I'm somewhere I can't lay my jacket? I don't want to carry it around a store for an hour.
Basically what I'm wondering is can I just throw it across my bike and expect it to be there when I return? Just wondering what to do with it before I make a costly mistake. I see bikes all the time sitting with a helmet on it somewhere but never noticed or thought about jacket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 PM

Garage
I don't take the chance with my gear. The helmet gets locked on the bike and the jacket gets to come with me where ever I go. I do have a length of aviation cable with loops at each end that I thread through the sleeves and lock with the helmet but a pair of cutters can take care of that quickly.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
OK new to this whole thing and wondering what you do with your gear when you stop. Granted if I'm just stopping for a soda @ the convenience store I'm just gonna lay the helmet on the bike and leave my jacket on but what about if your are inside longer? If I stop for dinner or something I can take my jacket and throw it beside me in the booth, but what if I'm somewhere I can't lay my jacket? I don't want to carry it around a store for an hour.
Basically what I'm wondering is can I just throw it across my bike and expect it to be there when I return? Just wondering what to do with it before I make a costly mistake. I see bikes all the time sitting with a helmet on it somewhere but never noticed or thought about jacket.
I personally just keep my jacket on and often times I carry my helmet with me as well. Most of the time I see people leave helmets with their bikes they are locked to the bike, but all someone would have to do is be a dick and cut the strap. It's not worth the risk to me.

2001 V Star 1100 Classic
Black Kuryakyn Hypercharger
Baron AIS Delete
Carbs Jetted
HID Headlight
Passing Lamps
Highway Pegs

V Star 1100 Knowledge Base

KK6UWI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 PM

Not sure what bike you have, but on the 1300 there is a helmet lock under the seat. I just have to unlock the seat, lift it up, hook the d-ring of the chin strap on the little hook which allows the helmet to hang off the left side of the bike, then just lock the seat back in place.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 12:17 AM

Usually I can stuff my jacket in my saddlebag. I wouldn't risk leaving anything out in my area. I had a cheap helmet that I left on the bike to run into a store. 7 minuets later it was gone without a trace. I picked up a backpack at Cycle Gear for $25 that can hold my coat gloves and a few essentials and has a pocket on the back for my helmet. Everything goes on there and it comes with me to class everyday. When I get to the bike it tucks nicely into the bags. If I need extra space I can wear the backpack or strap it to the back.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:58 AM

GPS and Helmet headsets go in saddlebags and locked. Coat, chaps, etc, either go in saddle bags or taken in with us. Helmets locked on bike with carbiner lock and cable, or goes in with us. Rarely leave "stuff" hanging on the bike. OCD ?? Yep, but mostly don't trust many people these days.

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 AM

I just leave it on my bike!! And try to have faith in people !!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 05:38 AM

But not my jacket!! Wear it in and sit it near me👍

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 AM

It depends on where we are, most times I will leave my helmet unlocked hanging on the highway pegs if I'm in an area where kids might take it ( what they think is funny) I will lock it up. My jacket the same thing or I will lock it in the saddlebag. My wife is with my most times and I moved her helmet lock to the front wheel for easier access, she has the 1100 Custom. I will try and post a pic later of the helmet lock and location. I don't think anyone wants to steal a helmet unless maybe an extremely expensive one. Just my two cents worth.

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 12:16 PM

I also don't really like leaving my helmet out in the sun and dust for long periods. Many just a little anal but I came stand a dirty visor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode