Motorcycle Beginner Series - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By lesblank
  • 2 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Motorcycle Beginner Series

Just starting out as a motorcycle rider, and don't know how to start?

Motorcycle.com presents a new series of articles illustrating the experiences a typical new rider goes through. We'll go through getting licensed, getting riding gear, receiving proper training, and follow the experiences of a new rider.

And don't forget to read the advice from our experienced StarBikeForums.com members in the New Riders forum.

Last edited by admin; 06-16-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: A new article has been added to the list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 01:01 PM

In California you can take the chp course. Learn a lot, plus you get your m1 license and a discount on insurance.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 08:06 PM

I Love it when a plan comes together...

Anthony
New Bike Rider 11/04/2014
2005 V-Star Classic 650
Lowered
Vance & Hines Pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:30 AM

Garage
This is an older thread but with several newer riders that have joined the forum I find it very relevant. We have many high mileage veterans here who could expand on their riding techniques that might help the newer riders some. First a motorcycle riding course should be completed by all. The class is great and gives the basic safety tips. The execution of these tips is where maybe the seasoned riders can give input to help. I'll start with my braking technique. Going fast is cool but stopping properly can be a life saver. I use both front and rear brake at all stops. The balance between front and rear is were issues can arise. Too much front brake the front end can wash out from under you. Too much rear and it will almost always lock up. Never brake in a curve, the bike will want to straighten up and negatively effect your apex, bike wants to go straight. Look for greasy spots, especially at intersections. You don't want your tires in the grease or do you want the grease under foot. Find a spot in the lane that tires and feet are on clean surface. I've found that at the last few feet on a stop at an intersection if I ease off front brake and apply a little more rear brake the bike will settle down to a stop better. Always leave plenty of room between you and vehicle in front of you. I normally stop on the left side of the lane which leaves me room for a way out if needed, I have a fear on being hit from behind. I put my left foot down first and then my right. In stop and go traffic I leave it in gear and will have my hand covering the front brake. Another thing, I'm watching my mirrors when stopping at an intersection, Houston drivers are bad about tailgating, on phone and freaking me out. I'm sure I left some key stopping techniques out and would like others to fill in what I missed. Let's talk about acceleration, gear changing, lane position, etc. A lot of us take these things for granted, but if we help someone be more comfortable and eliminate some of the trial and error that many of us did would be great for newer riders.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:52 PM
KCW

Garage
Some of the things they did not talk about in the beginners MSF course, that I discovered quickly on my own:

! Dont make a U turn on a hill or in a steep driveway. If you do the pavement will be lower on one side of the bike, and when you need to put your foot down half way thru the turn, all you will catch is air. You will need to put your foot down because on a hill the muscle memory you have gained from doing U turns on level ground is all wrong, you will need more gas going up hill, and the bike will speed up by itself going down hill, and you will blow it. therefore DONT make a U turn on a hill. Keep going till you get to a level spot to turn around.

! Taking a corner or curve on a hill is different. The bike will speed up going downhill and you will go wide, the opposite going up hills. This takes a new level of practice to get right, so until you master it, take corners and curves on hills slower than normal.

! When approaching a blind intersection where you cannot see if vehicles are coming on the cross street, assume a truck is coming at 60mph and is going to blow the stop sign or red light, and slow down accordingly, until you can see if any things are coming to get you. Its worse if its a 4 lane blind intersection and you cannot see what is in the far lane. Dont worry about the vehicles behind you because you have to slow down. If they get T boned they will walk away. You wont.

! As you are going thru an intersection look for cars in your lane just past it that are about to stop and turn into a driveway or parking lot. Its normal to swivel neck all the way thru the intersection and not even consider that traffic may come to a sudden stop right on the other side. IF you have to turn into a driveway right past an intersection make sure there is not a vehicle on your tail, because he is not expecting you to stop either. Avoid making those turns if you can.

! In the MSF course they do talk about minimizing the risks you are taking. Personally I would rather be on a secondary 55mph road than an interstate divided highway, and I would rather be on a 2 lane road than 4 or more lanes. The more vehicles around you, the faster they are going, the harder it is to keep track of everyone around you, and where they are going.

! Watch yourself in the areas and places where you ride the most, like your own street, or the parking lot where you work. These are the places you are mostly likely to be riding in "auto pilot" mode, not thinking about what you are doing, and not expecting a vehicle to suddenly appear, for example, coming in your driveway at work at 5pm when everyone is leaving, because that never happens, so you dont look, until it does.
lesblank and AlphaOmega like this.

Last edited by KCW; 02-03-2019 at 01:55 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:48 PM

Garage
Very good point about vehicles turning just past an intersection. Several times I've made a quick look left and right at an intersection and have a car in front of me making just a turn. I've had a few pucker moments in those moments.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:17 PM

Garage
One good thing i learned at my motorcycle safety class
40 years ago is keep your eyes up and look where you
are going not where you are and your body will get you there.
(as long as you don't ride like you want to be a hwy statistic)

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode