Near tragic end to my riding yesterday... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Near tragic end to my riding yesterday...

So, as my log-in-name suggests, I commute into DC daily about 45 miles every day. I have been doing this for about 2000 miles now, but am very newly back to riding.

So, as I have been racking up the miles, and getting more familiar with the roads and traffic, I got sloppy...

Until yesterday morning I had been checking each lane in the mirrors and turning my head each time prior to changing lanes. This one time, I didn't, I checked the mirror only and it seemed I had plenty of room going from left to right. I started to move over, and right into the side of the car I thought was well back of me but turns out it was right alongside me by the time I was moving.

To make matters far worse, while all this was happening at about 60 mph traffic was coming to an abrupt stop right in front of me...

Needles to say I was a bit distracted by almost sideswiping the car to my right that I barely had time to almost lock the breaks to prevent me running right into the car in front of me. Luckily I did not lock the breaks or swipe the car or come to a "sudden" stop into the rear bumper of the leading car.

I had been getting more comfortable out on the road, but this just reinforced my need for constant good habits and never taking anything for granted out there so I thought I'd share.

mk
Aunttudie and Aunttudie like this.

We already have enough youth, what we what we need is a fountain of smart. 1999 Road Star Silverado & 2009 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Banned

PHEW!
I'm glad you didn't get tangled up in all those cars. At the begining of the story I thought you actually made contact with the car on your right side.

Other than soiled skivies, I'm glad you're okay.

Last edited by stratowart; 06-15-2011 at 01:50 PM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Very good point and reminder. I know that living in an area such as we do, where "heavy traffic" is 5 or 6 cars at the four-way stop, it's very easy to become lax in your concentration and develop "lazy" habits. We worry more about the wildlife than the traffic (I almost nailed a turtle the other day, came right out of nowhere!), which can be just as deadly. Just yesterday there was a motorcyclist killed in Minnesota when he struck a wolf. A reminder that no matter where we ride, always stay aware.

2002 V-Star 1100 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

Indeed! Be alert. America needs more lerts!

And we're all happy that although you were relaxed, you spotted the situation in time...

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:48 PM

Garage
Caught myself last night. Enjoying the ride, zoned out and before i knew it, traffic. Nothing bad happened but like springer mentionned, we need more lerts.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 PM

Thanks

Thanks! I recently have gotten back into riding also about the same miles. A very good reminder for me. I do find myself getting a little to relaxed. This is a great reminder for me and i hope evryone else. Hope to hear about some better ride experiences.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 PM

Woooo, man I'm just glad you're ok DC! I take a lot of back roads on my 30 mile ride to work so I am constantly on the lookout for deer...I pass a new dead deer almost every day on my way in. I really try to stay away from highways because you never know what someone in a cage is going to do.

Take care out there and keep the rubber side down.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead1100 View Post
I pass a new dead deer almost every day on my way in.

As rough as your bike's been running, I'm impressed that you can actually pass a dead deer...
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

close call. sounds like the experience will make you a better rider. whether or not there is a car behind or in my blind spot in the lane i'm turning into, i always throttle on just to make sure i'm ahead of any car in that lane
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
As rough as your bike's been running, I'm impressed that you can actually pass a dead deer...
I've almost got it whipped now. I know what to check and I think by this time next week I'll have her running like a scalded dog!

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." -- Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode