Rider etiquette - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Rider etiquette

So being new to riding I came upon something yesterday for the first time and was wondering the proper way to handle it. was riding alone and came upon a group of 6 riding along behind a somewhat slow car. So is it proper to fall in formation with them or just keep a normal distance and treat the group like any other vehicle on the road? I decided to just keep a normal following distance. After a few miles of this a bike passes me and does fall into formation beside the last bike. Well I kinda assumed he was part of the group and had just gotten separated. Well as soon as he had room he passed the whole group as well as the car they were following. A bonehead move from a safety standpoint. Apparently he wasn't part of the group, just impatient. Anyway I was just wondering what the norm is. To me falling into another group that you don't know, unless they invite you, would be along the same line as butting into a conversation of strangers somewhere.
What do ya'll say?

Last edited by Summer; 05-19-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:14 PM

Garage
When I get in that kind of situation I sort of join the group at a distance and wait tomsee if they invite me in. If they don't and I can pass safely I do that and wave as I pass them. Most of the time they let you in no problem.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:12 PM

I kind of keep my distance until a stop light then if Im still right behind them I'll go to either the left or right. I could care less if someone joined our group while riding (unless they're acting like an a$$), I figure the more the merrier.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 07:29 PM

I agree with Moneypit.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 PM

When I'm out by myself and come up to a group, I usually don't fall into formation I give enough space between us to be safe and at first chance I will pass them.

If I'm out with the wife or a friend we will change are formation to to match theirs. It's safer that way, if there poking along we will pass them. I don't think there really is a proper or improper way.

Since we are on the topic of Rider etiquette, I have a question??
I was at the liquor store on Saturday, inside was a rider still wearing his fullface helmet and gear??? Why, I don't know??? To me this is unacceptable, at the gas station ok, but not in a retail outlet! How do you feel about this?

Ps I was going to start a thread about this anyway! LOL Summer beat me to it! LOL

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 09:06 PM
krb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
What do ya'll say?
Hang back at first and take a good look at the group and how they are riding. There are a lot of groups out there that, for various reasons, are not safe to either formation into line with or to try and pass.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 09:18 PM
krb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikermike View Post
I was at the liquor store on Saturday, inside was a rider still wearing his fullface helmet and gear???
There are many US states where having your face concealed like that means you can can be cited or even arrested for it. Here in VA it is a felony that can (theoretically) get you 5 years in prison.

What better way to conceal your identity while holding up the liquor store than by wearing a helmet and making a fast get away on your sport bike, right?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

i see no obligation to join a group on the rode. ride your own ride. they're just other vehicles on the road like anyone else. from time to time i'll come up on another single rider and we'll ride together for a couple miles or so which is cool, but i don't feel compelled to fall in line with anybody and don't know why anyone else would.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krb View Post
There are many US states where having your face concealed like that means you can can be cited or even arrested for it. Here in VA it is a felony that can (theoretically) get you 5 years in prison.

What better way to conceal your identity while holding up the liquor store than by wearing a helmet and making a fast get away on your sport bike, right?
You would think they would at least pull the visor up. I wear a half with a tinted visor and if I am quickly going into a store (IE grab a pack of smokes, or going to the liquor store and not shopping) I will leave me helmet on, but would never go in with out putting my visor up.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM

I always ride at my own pace. If the pack ahead of me is going slower or if I approach a pack at a stop light I'll fall into a staggered formation. (or pass if safe to do so)
I never trust riders I haven't ridden with. Who knows their experience level or riding habits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode