Lack of different shell sizes makes almost every helmet totally suck - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Lack of different shell sizes makes almost every helmet totally suck

I ordered my first helmet online. I tried to look for one that wouldn't be too much of a mushroom or bubble. I got a HJC IS-2. Unfortunately it looks like a giant bubble and I hate it.

I think the main reason all these helmets are so terrible is not because of the polystyrene layer for DOT compliance. It is because of the lack of multiple shell sizes. They blames the bulkiness on DOT compliance. I think they use DOT compliance as an excuse to make a half-assed product.

They use the same shells for many sizes. Some helmets are literally one shell size for every single marked size the helmet is offered.

A friend and I went to six different places in Charleston, SC to search for non-mushroom/space balls DOT helmets.Three of the places were listed as dealers for Daytona Helmets, which we specifically wanted to check out. However, none had a single Daytona helmet in stock. The closest we came was a Daytona Helmets Display Rack holding helmets from other brands.

Virtually every single helmet is a big bubble. In some case we could take a small (or even extra small) and hold it up to a XL and they would be the same shell, but the small would have triple the padding.

Most places don't even have any mirrors anywhere. They don't want you to look at yourself with the helmet on until you get home.

Daytona has four styles that they bill as "the smallest, thinnest, lowest profile DOT approved helmets ever made." The key to this claim is three of these designs have a different shell size for every two marked sizes. The fourth is a different shell size for every three marked shell sizes.

a lot of stuff I examined was one shell size for everything or only two different shell sizes.

The only helmets we found that we liked were Torq's Route 66 3/4 (Vintage Style Crash Helmets). These seemed superior to the same style helmets from Bell, Bitwell, Fulmer, and Cycle Gear's house brands. The funny thing is we found these at a Victory/Indian dealership. They had a shit load of them with Japanese Rising Sun flags on them that were half price. Three different versions. We had been joking about getting t-shirts and patches with Japanese Rising Sun flags since we both have Japanese bikes. Theoretically you could buy one of the half price ones and repaint it too.

Even then Torc Route 66 only uses two different shell sizes for all their marked sizes. It goes XS-M is one shell size, and L-2X is one shell size. Which is not great, but still better than a lot of stuff using only one shell size.

Some of the German Stalhelm style motorcycle helmets are the biggest joke of all. I found ones that have the polystyrene and the padding coming all the way down to lip. It literally transforms your head into a giant mushroom. Most are not even designed to fit like a military helmet.

I decided to take a risk and ordered a Daytona helmet on their website. I'll see how it turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 07:02 AM

I think you have to keep in mind that helmets have one purpose and being a fashion statement isn't one of them. Helmet manufacturers, like everyone else have to keep cost down in order to keep prices down. If every different helmet size had a completely different shell size they would all probably be too expensive to buy. I understand your pain but I think it's just a necessary evil that goes with the territory. Hopefully your newest order will be what you hope it to be.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 04:59 PM

I feel your pain, Kyle. The almighty dollar wins again. My wife wears a small. I wear an XL. Our HJCs are the same size along with the Torcs. It's not so bad for me, but my wife looks like a character from Mario Brothers.

FYI. Arai uses five (5) different shell sizes. One for every 2 sizes.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 07-22-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkn View Post
It's not so bad for me, but my wife looks like a character from Mario Brothers.
what's the problem?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:16 AM

Look at it this way. The big shell has more room for the shock absorbing foam so it provides her better protection. After all, protection is the reason for the helmet in the first place. If she wants, she can tell people she has a big ego and needs to protect it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 12:12 AM

when trying out helmets I always pull out the smart phone and snap a few pics of it on my head. many times what I thought was a good looking helmet made me look like the Great Gazoo.
My next helmet will be an Akoury AK88 or AK1 (soon as someone puts one on sale)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkn View Post
I feel your pain, Kyle. The almighty dollar wins again. My wife wears a small. I wear an XL. Our HJCs are the same size along with the Torcs. It's not so bad for me, but my wife looks like a character from Mario Brothers.

FYI. Arai uses five (5) different shell sizes. One for every 2 sizes.
Maybe the model is important to consider too. I was thinking about your post and compared my wife's helmet with mine yesterday. Both are HJCs, her's is a small and mine is a medium.

Her shell is definitely just a little smaller than mine. Mine is the FG-17 and her's is the CL-17.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 07:28 AM

Different companies use different shell sizes in different sizes, so, for example, my wife who wears a small....

A small 3/4 LS2 helmet is a perfect fit for my wife, small shell size = NO bubble head, great LIGHT, THIN Helmet.
Same small size in a 3/4 Bilt Helmet = Bubble Head, to big of shell.

I use a Large helmet in 3/4 Rock Hard American Classic and its an ok shell size, wore it for years, then found ...

a 3/4 Bilt helmet fits me just as good in a MED size and this is a SUPER thin shell size in the Med. Super light, lost cost, DOT helmet.

So what I am saying, the right shell size for you is out there but it takes time to find what company works best in your size because they all seem to limit the shell sizes. I know the frustration of going to stores, they have such a limited selection its retarded. But over time, as you look, you will find one.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 07:19 PM

Also consider the shapes these helmets come in. It varies from brand to brand, model to model and from country to country. A japanese helmet will come in different shapes than helmet made in america or italy. This also effects how it looks on your head.

The main problem is that some manufacturers use the same shells for all their helmets and only change the padding to size it down. A small helmet could be the same shell as a large helmet just with bigger pads. It's all types of confusing.

Last edited by ryuclan; 08-18-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode