Maybe a crazy question... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Maybe a crazy question...

I have been away from riding for about 25 years and I'm at a point where I've taken care of all the family things I need to take care of and I'm interested in getting a bike. A lot has changed in 25 years, especially the bikes. I've been thinking about Harleys but the cost is high and the performance is low. Can someone who has been there give me their opinion on which way to go? I'm thinking cruiser, not crotch rocket. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 PM

Well Chuck, I was in a similar boat about 3 weeks ago. I was away from riding for about 35 years and finally said... enough, I need a bike. I did lots and lots of research. I wanted a cruiser, like you, yet not a big bike or a small one either. I narrowed my choices to 3. Suzuki C50T, Kawasaki 900lt, and the V Star 950. After looking at all three and reading lots of internet reviews, the choice was obvious... (that would be the 950 of course).

I did not test ride any of them because... I have been away from riding for 35 years. Even if the dealers would have let me ride, I would have been too focused on just staying upright to see what really fit. I made the right choice.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Maybe a crazy question...

Dbrock, thanks for the reply and congrats on your new ride. I'll let you know which bike I decide on. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:51 PM

I HIGHLY recommend the 950. If you happened to read my reply to your other post, I also gave you some options to look at. I hope you find the perfect match.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 04:53 AM
MDV

I was away from riding for 12 years when i came back too it, bought an 89 1100 Virago. Something to consider is when you have been away a while the skills are rusty, if you are gonna put something down is it notbetter to kill a cheap bike than a brand new machine. Besides they are comfortable and very tolerant of idiots as i found out, then replaced it 18 months later with a new v star1100 and since bought the new v star 1300.

As i said somethingto think about
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:55 PM

maybe a crazy question

Used 650 V-Stars are the best deal going. Many are available with very low miles, mainly because newbies or returners believe the hype that bigger is better. I have been licenced and riding for 35 years; 25 on a BMW R75/5, 6 on a Suzuki 650 Tempter and the last 4 on a 650 V-Star. I weigh 200lbs and average 3000 miles per trip multiple times per year and I have never found the 650 to be too small. If you are tall, the distance between the seat and the foot pegs is just as important as the size of the engine. Good luck and welcome back.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 08:20 PM

i am also new to riding. i didnt want to spend a lot so i got a used, 2000 vstar 1100 custom, low mileage for about 3900.00 on craigs list, great bike, only 5100 miles on it. it is the right size and power for my limited experience, it gives me room to learn and grow. hope you find the bike you like, there are a lot of nice ones out there.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:41 PM

Groundchuck, did you get a bike? I hate to disagree with everyone besides being a day late on this post but I would recommend a 1300 Tourer since I was able to buy a new 2009 for less than $400.00 more than my local Yammy dealer quoted me on a 2009 950. That is a lot more bike for $400.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 05:00 PM

What new or used bike to get?

Motorcycles are partly emotional and they look different to each person. Proportions are important along with safety and ease of use. In particular, Yamaha pays close attention to all of the above. There are many other issues to review in deciding on a bike. The 950, and the 1100 are the best entry level and post entry level bikes out there. The 1300 is as well except that Yamaha did not pay close attention in the styling department on the 1300 and they are, in most areas, not brisk sellers as a result. That's why they can be had at pretty hefty discounts. Great bike though, if you don't count looks!

zioo
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 05:26 PM

I know the Stratoliner might not look like an entry level bike, but once you pull away from the stop light the extra weight of this bike dissapears. This is one of the best handling bikes of any size and it has smooth power. I would recommend at least a test drive. It is a lot of bike but really easy to drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode