Just a tip for newbs, and everyone else, too. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 96
Just a tip for newbs, and everyone else, too.

I have seen alotta people say the have a Chilton's, Hayne's, insert junks manual name here. And I would like to say QUIT THROWING MONEY AWAY!! lol...those manuals are junk, and always have been. The only reason they're still in business is because the general public is in the dark. If you're going to work an ANY vehicle you own ALWAYS buy a FSM or factory service manual. They make 'em for everything with an engine. The information in a FSM is worth way more than the 20/30 extra you'll spend compared to the others. I am an ASE certified Master Tech and these are just my opinions. If you can follow simple, detailed instructions and have no mechanical ability you can still strip yer scoot down and put it right back to running order with one of these.

Last edited by bevo1981; 12-16-2011 at 01:01 PM.
notfried is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
 
redcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northwest GA
Posts: 544
Garage
Like this http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...xvs1100-xvs11?

I have not yet downloaded it. I bought the Clymers last year, and it's pretty good for the limited work I've done (Clutch adjustment, oil change, removed the front wheel, changed fuel filter).

Do you think this will be more complete?

Can't really beat the price (Unless you could find it for free).
redcat is online now  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfried View Post
I have seen alotta people say the have a Chilton's, Hayne's, insert junks manual name here. And I would like to say QUIT THROWING MONEY AWAY!! lol...those manuals are junk, and always have been. The only reason they're still in business is because the general public is in the dark. If you're going to work an ANY vehicle you own ALWAYS buy a FSM or factory service manual. They make 'em for everything with an engine. The information in a FSM is worth way more than the 20/30 extra you'll spend compared to the others. I am an ASE certified Master Tech and these are just my opinions. If you can follow simple, detailed instructions and have no mechanical ability you can still strip yer scoot down and put it right back to running order with one of these.
I have always felt any info, anywhere, that can be helpful is a good thing No back and forth here at all, I am done on this one, but I wonder about the Romans 10:11 signature Are you talkin about yourself?
Sugar Bear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
I have always felt any info, anywhere, that can be helpful is a good thing No back and forth here at all, I am done on this one, but I wonder about the Romans 10:11 signature Are you talkin about yourself?
On the Romans part I should proofread more...lol. I fixed it. And I was stating my opinion and on Clymers, Hayne's, etc. I just meant that if you are going to buy a book, put your loot to the best use possible and get the best info you can find. This is just from past experience being a mechanic most my life. I figured if ya own the vehicle and do your own wrenching having a FSM is invaluable and the others are decent for basic maintenance, but not much else.
notfried is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
Like this http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...xvs1100-xvs11?

I have not yet downloaded it. I bought the Clymers last year, and it's pretty good for the limited work I've done (Clutch adjustment, oil change, removed the front wheel, changed fuel filter).

Do you think this will be more complete?

Can't really beat the price (Unless you could find it for free).
Just as long as they state it's a Factory Service Manual from the actual manufacturer, then it's good. The one to down load on the Yamaha site is over $90, I believe.
notfried is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Senior Member
 
hdeater113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Posts: 1,452
I know what your saying you get what you pay for.As for our mc manuals you can save all your money because you can down load the manuals from sites like these. I have the 650,1100 and the liner manuals at my finger tips.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
hdeater113 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 570
I think the slone services knowledgebase has em online...

I got a Clymers for 20 bucks....For basic work and maintenance it's great

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF
BP03 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat View Post
Like this http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...xvs1100-xvs11?

I have not yet downloaded it. I bought the Clymers last year, and it's pretty good for the limited work I've done (Clutch adjustment, oil change, removed the front wheel, changed fuel filter).

Do you think this will be more complete?

Can't really beat the price (Unless you could find it for free).
I downloaded that one last night and it's a real FSM...for only $6.75, compared to Yammies $90+...great find, man!!
notfried is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
redcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northwest GA
Posts: 544
Garage
^ Thanks! Yeah, a lot more detail than the Clymers.
redcat is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome