Be familiar with your roads - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Be familiar with your roads

Last night after leaving a friends house I was riding on a unfamiliar road with my daughter and missed a corner, God was with us there was a dirt lane at the corner and kept the shiner side up, it had to be the hand of God that kept us that way, so after saying all that be familiar with the roads you are riding especially after dark.

New owner of 2007 V-Star 1100 Silverado

Joshua 24:15
15And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:17 AM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
Was speed a little factor also ?

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Banned

Glad to hear that it was only a "close call". Try to remember to look beyond the corner and don't focus on "the corner" and you'll be better off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

I was going 25 mph because I wasn't familiar with the road and the corner is unmarked the county roads around here are lucky to even be marked with metal signs

15And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:08 PM

Hi quenston, I done a post a good bit ago about a road near here that is a nightmare, folks come out of the flatlands buzzin right along and hit these 90s and lots of road rash, broken bones, and sadly, deaths. Wart and eater give great points: your speed and be aware will sure help to keep you livin Be smart(everyone) and Ride Safe.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 PM

Thank God you had an angel flying with you! I hope you daughter didnt get to scared. Do you have a Guardian Bell on your bike? I swear I have heard my ring a couple times. Good to hear your ok. I did that about a month ago. It was dusk and I had forgotten my prescription night glasses. I went a little to hot into a turn (on a windy downhill mountain)and scared the heck out of myself. At the bottom of the mountain I asked my boyfriend did he see my scary turn. He said yes he was thinking nice babe your hitting it hard then he saw me tense up and realized I was not meaning to do it.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window. ~Author Unknown
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie View Post
Thank God you had an angel flying with you! I hope you daughter didnt get to scared. Do you have a Guardian Bell on your bike? I swear I have heard my ring a couple times. Good to hear your ok. I did that about a month ago. It was dusk and I had forgotten my prescription night glasses. I went a little to hot into a turn (on a windy downhill mountain)and scared the heck out of myself. At the bottom of the mountain I asked my boyfriend did he see my scary turn. He said yes he was thinking nice babe your hitting it hard then he saw me tense up and realized I was not meaning to do it.
I do have a guardian bell that was bought for me by my wife. My problem was that I didn't even know the corner was there until it was to late took the back way home and had only been that way one time previously. Surprisingly after we got stopped and I pulled the seat from my butt my daughter was laughing hysterically and said the hole time I was yelling Jesus like a girl. She said it scared her at first but we ended up riding another 30 miles and she was fine wanting to ride today in 45 degree weather

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Glad to hear that it was only a "close call". Try to remember to look beyond the corner and don't focus on "the corner" and you'll be better off.
Was taught that tip in my training/safety course. It rings true. You will be more likely to have issues looking at your front wheel, other than down the road a ways. In theory, the bike goes where your eyes go. Head up, and watching ahead at least 8-10 car lengths. It really works.
Of course this is harder to do without the assistance of daylight.

2003 V Star 1100 Custom
My Trixie has:
Corbin seat
Tons of Kuryakyn chrome accy's
Vance and Hines Classics exhaust
SS Chubby pod kit
Barnett clutch
Blue L.E.D's
Custom aluminum wheels
Hard bags/touring trunk w/quick release
National Cycle Switchblade windshield
Cycle Sounds Series 2 audio system
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 PM

Agree - a curve can throw you

Blame this on inexperience. An acquaintance (on military leave) bought a new Harley. The second day of possession he dropped it on its side, braking the clutch lever. The third day he took a sharp curve too fast, shot across the other lane, and ran right into a brick wall.
He was very lucky that there was no oncoming car and suffered "only" a shoulder separation.

Yes, you have to know your roads, and approach bends and curves at a controllable speed. Easy to say but how many time do we hear about riders going down on a curve.

Nelmar - 2005 Yamaha Road Star Warrior - 2008 Kawasaki KLR - 1972 Triumph Tiger
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

he laid it down twice in 2 days. guessing that has less to do with knowing your roads and more to do with knowing how to handle a bike.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode