newbie gear question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

newbie gear question

I know i need to wear leather, tall boots, helmet. My current helmet has a snowmobile face shield. is this fine? the only difference i can tell is the snowmobile is a double shield to prevent fogging. my biggest issue is about saddle bags. how do i know what will look good on my bike? i only have a few bike shops and most don't carry much gear (unless your a HD). i really don't want to spend 200+ on a set of saddlebags only to find out i have to relocate my tail lights or they just look stupid on my bike. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 PM

This is were your bike becomes 'YOURS' Beauty is truelly in the eye of the beholder. You will need to step back and imagine what your bike would look like with 'said' saddle bags and decide for yourself. I liked the bags i have now when i got them, now i think they look terrible on my bike I have spent some time looking around at all the options and collecting info for my next saddlebag purchase. I have been using a tape measure to hold against the bike after getting the dimensions of a set of bags of the internet. Sorry to be so long winded (and probably not any help either)

Flatulence is natures way of reminding us to laugh at ourselves.

The views expressed above are those of the author and may, or may not, express the views of those around me. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. No animals were harmed in the typing of this messege.

'05 V-Star 1100 Midnight Custom
slightly modified
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

as long as your helmet fits comfortable and doesn't obstruct your vision, it's better than not wearing any helmet. not sure what that shield would do in the event of a direct impact. bonus points if it's SNELL or DOT stamped.

might want to check out First Gear saddlesbags. best price/cubic inch i've found online. mine cost a little more than $100 and they hold A LOT. about 19" long and expands to about 12" wide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Banned

Welcome to the 4M.

WOW, I don't know where to begin to answer all your questions...

The sled helmet should be fine, and far better than the non-DOT/Snell novelty helmets out there that try and pass as hemlets thats for sure.

As for saddlebags, I spent some time with photoshop cutting and pasting different bags onto pictures of my previous bike. It was a PITA and very crude but you can see what general shape looks the most pleasing to you. But to begin, you should have at least a basic idea of the size bag you need.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_punk View Post
I know i need to wear leather, tall boots, helmet.

You savage, you...

Actually you don't "need" all that stuff, and you can build an impressive all-weather riding wardrobe pretty reasonably if you shop online at places like Leatherup (no, I'm not affiliated, but I have spent a fair amount of money with them...at discounts of course) Motorcycle Superstore, Jafrum, etc. Look for bargains and Leatherup always has at least 10% discounts and often free shipping, no sales tax.

If you like leather, that's cool. Over the years I've transitioned to textiles with armor and mesh with armor. You can find waterproof/windproof textile jackets in the $70 range, and I have a pair of reinforced pullover water/windproof pants that have served me well for the last 5 years; cost about $30. Shop carefully.

As to saddlebags, your style preference and some prudent measurements taken from your bike will tell the tale. The online vendors that I've mentioned have a wide variety of economical saddlebags in many styles. Naturally if you set your heart on Corbin or equivalent, $200 won't get them to even answer the phone

Due diligence, look at other bikes, measure what your bike can accommodate, and then make haste slowly.

My only reservation about your sled helmet might have to do with aerodynamics. You might be a real snow hot-dogger, but bucking a 20 mph headwind at 60 mph on a bike means the helmet has to be stable through slipstreams that will sometimes exceed 100mph (not a consideration for blue bike owners)

Good luck
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 PM

A couple thoughts.

Helmet...I only have one head so I spend money on helmets. If the helmet is not SNELL or ECE rated, I would leave it home. Yes, it's better than nothing, but saving a few dollars on a helmet will be lost on the first head Xray.

It sounds like you ride in a cold climate. Think about that on gear. Some of the vendors mentioned who sound like they might only sell leather also sell some textile jackets with multiple layers, and that might help extend your season. My three layer jacket will work from about 40 degrees and sunny to 100 degrees plus.

Saddle bags---get really familiar with Google and the images option. If someone makes bags for your bike, someone out there probably has a pic posted. I admit I did not get "real" leather due to cost and moisture concerns and for 3 years I have been very happy with my sub $200 saddle bags. Just this weekend the girlfriend made a comment about the leather when she fixing a zipper on them (not bags fault), and I had to tell her they weren't leather and she couldn't tell even though she was sewing on them. Think about how much you want to carry, and what. I needed to carry a laptop to mine had to be a minimum depth, which greatly limited my choices. Watch out for that exhaust when figuring size--bags will droop in the heat.

Enjoy...and have fun pumping up the economy.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return to Riding View Post
It sounds like you ride in a cold climate. Think about that on gear. Some of the vendors mentioned who sound like they might only sell leather also sell some textile jackets with multiple layers, and that might help extend your season. My three layer jacket will work from about 40 degrees and sunny to 100 degrees plus.
Yes i do ride in a cold climate. however my snowmobile gloves and jacket are rated for 40 below zero. my bibs are rated for -60 i think. i wear my gloves and jacket when its really cold and just my jacket when its kinda cold. i also work outside a lot so i'm kinda used to the cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode