Help me be louder? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Question Help me be louder?

I ride a 07 Vstar 650 and want the bike to be louder, any advise?

I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds-J. Robert Oppenheimer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

wanna be louder loader? roger roger.

or you can chop a foot off the ends of your pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:15 AM

It's that you USA guys don't seem to have laws about excessive noise, helmets and sharp protrusions. In my state, we have a 94db limit, helmets are mandatory and we can't have pointy bits that could snag people. My mirrors aren't technically allowed.

2000 VStar 1100 Custom
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValStar View Post
It's that you USA guys don't seem to have laws about excessive noise, helmets and sharp protrusions. In my state, we have a 94db limit, helmets are mandatory and we can't have pointy bits that could snag people. My mirrors aren't technically allowed.
Page 9-4 Yamaha XVS650R(C)/XVS650AR(C) U.S. manual:
--------------------------------------------------------------
TAMPERING WITH NOISE CONTROL SYSTEM PROHIBITED

Federal law prohibits the following acts or the causing thereof: (1) The removal or rendering inoperative by any person other than for purposes of maintenance, repair, or replacement of any device or element of design incorporated into any new vehicle for the purpose of noise control prior to its sale or delivery to the ultimate purchaser or while it is in use or (2) the use of the vehicle after such device or element of design has been removed or rendered inoperative by any person.

"AMONG THOSE ACTS PRESUMED TO CONSTITUTE TAMPERING ARE THE ACTS LISTED BELOW".

These acts include tampering with the following systems: i.e., modification, removal, etc.

Exhaust system: Muffler, Exhaust pipe, Silencer.
Intake system: Air cleaner case, Air cleaner element, intake duct.
---------------------------------------------------------------

If law enforement wanted to enforce it, basically anything besides stock in good working condition is considered a violation of federal law in the U.S. So, anything aftermarket that changes the noise level or emissions is breaking the law. That pretty much covers all aftermarket exhaust and/or intake systems.

Decible laws, emissions testing and emission laws, helmet laws, LED laws, and "sharp object" laws vary from state to state, county to county, and even in some cases, from community to community. I remember when they outlawed (and actually enforced for quite a while) pointed and/or squared ends (forks) on sissy bars.

In the U.S., one of the favorite pass-times of government is adding as many new laws as they can without taking ANY old laws off of the books. So yeah, over 230+ years, we've passed laws against just about anything and everything. Thankfully, the feds are more concerned with busting socals growing medicinal pot than with throwing 25% of the country in jail for aftermarket pipes. The locals usually have enough sense to leave it alone too.

Last edited by 650vstar2003; 04-14-2012 at 05:38 AM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 04:23 AM

BTW,

The Jardines on my 650 have beautifully tuned deep throats when purring and usually scare the hell out of anything else on the road when I crack 'em.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650vstar2003 View Post
......TAMPERING WITH NOISE CONTROL SYSTEM PROHIBITED........In the U.S., one of the favorite pass-times of government is adding as many new laws as they can.......

Wow, I didn't know that. That's more severe than here.

2000 VStar 1100 Custom
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 11:44 PM

The U.S. is basically a "cover-all" situation in most aspects of life vs law.

The theory is to make as much as you can technically illegal, so if law enforcement or anyone in government has a problem with an individual or group, they can always find something to arrest them for.

It is "The land of the free" for the most part, but it is corrupt. Big brother's been attempting to gradually erode our rights and freedoms for as long as this country's been in existence, and he's been especially effective at it since the end of WWII. Fear-mongering and non-transparency of government seems to help the process quite a bit.

There's a story about putting a frog into cold water and very gradually heating it up to a boil. The frog will not jump out and will boil to death because it can't feel the temperature rise that gradually.

My township decided that I, and everyone in the township were going to use an expensive garbage collection company from an adjacent state last year. My garbage collection cost went from around $8 per month (living alone and buying a couple of designated bags at the supermarket) to $79 every three months whether I even used the service or not. That's right, they're treating it like taxes. If you don't pay this company for either collecting what garbage you have (or for NOTHING if you choose to dispose of your garbage by other means), the township will put a lean on your property without due process. The two drastically cheaper garbage collection companies that used to operate in our township are still more than willing to service our area. That means that there are free-market choices available to us and what the township is forcing upon us is unconstitutional.

But, what individual is going to cough up the thousands it would take to fight it? There's the rub as they say.

If we were to go back to the 50's, 60's, or even early 70's, and everything that's been taken away was taken away in, let's say, a 6 month period of time,... There'd be blood in the streets.

But, like the frog, we let it happen, and we continue to let it happen every day U.S. bodies of government are in session and big businesses are in their boardrooms.

Last edited by 650vstar2003; 04-14-2012 at 11:48 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:04 AM

I don't think I could live in the States. I toured there in '99 and quite a few things made me raise my eyebrows and frown.

2000 VStar 1100 Custom
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValStar View Post
Like Val said, same goes in my State.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode