Got my butt kicked today - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Got my butt kicked today

Went to a civilian motorcycle training seminar presented by Gulf Coast Police Motorcycle Police. They had an expert and a novice course, the novice side was like the expert side but the patterns were opened up a bit. I could not complete a single pattern on the novice side . I had been practicing occasionally and watching the videos and thought I could do it, but boy was I wrong. I lacked the one basic skill needed to complete each course and that was to be able to go from straight to a full lock (or nearly full lock) turn.

I knew what to to, but just could not do it, keep your body straight and shift wait to the outside of the saddle, keep the clutch in the friction zone and control speed with the rear brake.

The good news is that I know where I am at skill wise and what I need to practice for next year.

I really recommend to everyone to attend such an event if possible, you will certainly learn something.

LoupGarou

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 03:10 PM

after dropping it last fall i'm having trouble going from a dead stop to a low speed uturn. i stick my foot out to the side so it don't get squished
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Exactly, making a U-turn is one thing, making it from a dead stop is another.

Most of the courses that we did started in a similar way and I could not get in a groove. For instance, unlike the MSF figure 8 where you enter the box from the end and perform a U-turn first, here you entered from the side and in the center, so the first move was actually a complete circle. Certainly it was doable and most could do it, but I have a lot of work to do.

What the officers and civilians could do on the expert side was incredible.

LoupGarou

2005 V Star 1100 Classic, Mustang seats, Baron ORK, risers and Star handlebar, AIS removed, muffler baffles removed, run/turn/brake light controller, modulating headlight, pods installed in air box, progressive front springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 06:25 AM

I wouldn't feel too bad Loup. When I spoke to a riding instructor about the slow tight turns he said that not much weight is placed on that maneuver from a safety standpoint because the higher speed maneuvers are where you are going to get seriously hurt. Inability to do the slow ones do cause a lot of 'Parking Lot Embarrassment" though. Just a thought. Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.

Last edited by commonground; 08-13-2015 at 05:36 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 11:27 AM

LoupGarou, you are doing the right thing by evaluating your riding skills and actively focusing on improvement. I think about my skills when riding at times, at other times I just ride and enjoy. The times I'm thinking about my skills help me to create a mental list of skills to read about or to talk with others about then go practice.

Feeling comfortable in low speed maneuvers is important. Knowing proper technique and practicing is the only way to improve.

I really hate the idea of "duck walking" around when better slow speed skills eliminates it. We had a party last week and I had to move my motorcycle in from of an audience that included several experienced riders. I did it skillfully and to the applause of the crowd. No Duckwalking required.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

I did feel bad at the time but I got over it and will continue to practice. One thing that I have found helpful is to go around in a circle and get it as tight as I can, this is helping me build muscle memory, improve balance and build confidence.

Went on a 100 mile Saturday morning ride yesterday and had a great time.

Loup

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 01:53 PM

I found Jerry "Motorman" Palladino's DVDs pretty good for slow speed operation of a motorcycle.

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/
Stose85 and Stose85 like this.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 02:45 PM

now i get it, i can go to a parking lot and do endless figure eights but i've never tried to do one starting in the middle and completing the first circle. and then the eight. if i think of it i'll try to do uturns from a dead stop i got new highway bars so if i drop it there will be minimal damage. a tight turn is the hardest.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 10:57 AM

Garage
After 20 years riding (with a hiatus in the middle), I'm taking MSF course for the first time starting this Thursday... I'm guessing I'll have similar stories to tell: Never did focus much on the kind of 'parking lot' maneuvers they emphasize. I can do a decent u-turn even from a stop, and never had any problems, but I still suspect some embarrassing moments. All in good pursuit of better skills, though.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

I do realize that these are primarily parking lot maneuvers but it seems to me that as I get better at low speed control it carry's over to high speed control.

Am I wrong?

LoupGarou

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode