Reminder to keep your eyes scanning - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Reminder to keep your eyes scanning

Just a friendly reminder to new riders and long-time riders alike. Keep those eyes scanning the roads and roadsides ahead of you.

I live in a rural area - southeast Iowa.

Yesterday on the way home from work (in broad daylight on the 4 lane at 65 mph) I got relaxed and wasn't scanning. 2 deer came up in front of me and I breaked VERY hard (was right on the line of locking them up as I heard the rear tire squeal on/off three times). The second deer was right in front of me - maybe 2 feet - I could have slapped it on the rear as I went by it.

1. Had I been going even a tick faster than I was I would have creamed it
2. Had I been scanning the terrain I would have seen them running through the field and had MUCH more time to slow down. There is no doubt in my mind they were running through the field to the road as they were full speed when they came out of the ditch.

That is my first deer encounter on a bike in 6 years of riding and as close as I care for it to be. Luckily I USUALLY keep my cool in those situations and I did. And the bike did its job of holding a straight line with just a bit of fish tailing.

Please learn from my mistakes. It only takes a split second to ruin your day.

Jon Miller

Jon Miller
2005 V Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 PM

Yes, should be common practice with all, but sadly it is not
I have had the same situation as you had, very hairy
Scan left right forward full time. THINK. May just save your ass

Ride Safe
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 PM

Good advise.
Also don't linger on a subject to long. I could have had a close call at a intersection the other day if the car didn't see me as I was starring at a nice chick on the other side. I looked back at my lane and my eyes were like WOW glad that cager seen me and did not turn in front as I was traveling straight threw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the reminder. It's easy to get comfortable and complacent.

I'm really glad your close encounter didn't end up worse for you. Shiny side up, my friend.

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:17 AM

This is a topic near and deer (lol) to my heart as I live and ride around lots and lots of deer.

Without turning this into a science project, I'm interested in discussing best practice in terms of dealing with deer.

Jon, you say if you were going a bit faster this would have turned out bad. What if you had been going faster and didn't slow? What we, as riders, are trying to avoid is the intersection of two lines; our path and that of a deer. Our path is our speed and stopping or accelerating potential as well as what little maneuvering could be done in the time between recognizing an oncoming deer, if any, and potential impact and the deers same potentials.

I have had it told, not suggested, told to me by one rider with well over 100,000 miles and some 20 years riding that when you see deer, you speed up. This guy is an engineer and his point is that, like hitting a bullet with a bullet, the goal is to reduce the chances of collision with speed. You are giving them less time to react, less time on the 'X' that point where you could hit them, or they you.

I've heard other riders say to just try and not react to the deer, focus ONLY on what is a safe path for you absent the deer meaning don't take action that WILL result in you running off the road or washing the bike out or crossing the center line when you can't see if the way is clear of oncoming traffic. The point was to operate the bike so that it will stay on the rubber and hope the deer is gone or, at least hope for the best in a collision with him, when you get to it vs. taking action that will cause you to lose control whether you hit the deer or not.

I haven't had any close calls yet with anything bigger than a squirrel and, to me, part of the battle is the mental preparation of what I should be trying to do when the time comes, akin to entering a corner too hot and working your skills with certain actions in mind, to save it rather than just panic, unload the suspension and guarantee a crash.

Discussion?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all.

Larry, not sure I can make much of a discussion about that, but I will reply anyway. I apologize ahead of time for the length of this post.

I hear what you are saying and the idea behind it. I come from a racing family and it's a similar idea of drive through or to the wreck because by the time you get there the cars will have slid down the track.

However, in my specific incident it would not have worked. Most importantly because I was not paying attention. When I saw the deer they were hopping out of the ditch and almost immediately in front of me. I was literally staring at the eyes of the second deer. So if I had hit the gas I would have hit the first deer. And hitting the brakes happened by instinct, no thought at all.

What saved me and surprised me the most (and you will know what I am saying since you are around deer a lot) is that neither one of them hesitated. I actually thought as I was staring at it, "if you hesitate we're not going to make it." It did not hesitate a bit and that is what let me squeak by them while mashing on the brakes.

I kept going straight because I knew it was the only chance of not going down. With such force from braking, I really felt like I couldn't turn the bike if I tried anyway.

My second point would be that had I been really watching, I would have seen them so far back that I would have slowed safely and they would have crossed the road plenty far ahead of me.

And thankfully it's not a really busy 4 lane road. The next car was quite far back from me (and may have seen the deer the whole time) so they stayed way back which made one less danger I had to worry about.

You should've seen the smoke cloud behind me, the black mark is still there. Saw it on my ride home tonight.

Jon Miller
2005 V Star 1100 Classic
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 PM

Remember.....Deer will hit you as easy as you hit them. They tend to have tunnel vision and just run right into the side of you. They are stupid!

2003 1100 Classic Silverado. 2" risers, Rifle bronze windshield, Cobra crash bars with highway pegs, Baron's ORK. DMY VIP Tour Pak with luggage rack. MCC Comfort Rider Plus passenger seat. No performance enhancers. Just comfort and safety.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmiller View Post
What saved me and surprised me the most (and you will know what I am saying since you are around deer a lot) is that neither one of them hesitated. I actually thought as I was staring at it, "if you hesitate we're not going to make it." It did not hesitate a bit and that is what let me squeak by them while mashing on the brakes.
It seems you get more hesitation out of deer at night. My theory is that the sudden change of light (your headlight(s)) stuns or confuses them. Does not seem to happen as much during the day.

Squirrels on the other hand.

Current Bike
2007 V-Star 1300
RSTD handlebars
Kuryakyn ISO grips with bar end helmet locks
NS switchblade 2-up windshield

Wife's Bike
2007 Moto Guzzi Griso

Prior bikes
1989 Honda Nighthawk 250
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
1999 Suzuki Marauder 800
2005 Yamaha V-star 650 classic
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 08:16 AM

Garage
Well let me tell ya my story . Coming back from my friends place, I noticed a big brown rock on the side of the road ahead of me. to my great surprise the rock flew off and touched my helmet on the way by. The rock was a nice big wild turkey

I'm sure we all have had an experience or two about keeping your head on a swivel. It's good to share our stories on this so that we can all learn from our experiences.

Thanks again for the reminder.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/

Last edited by Corsair; 06-02-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode