1st purchase in 25 years - Need advise - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

1st purchase in 25 years - Need advise

I've been looking at ads for the past 3 weeks and keep going back to the same bike I saw 8 days ago.
2003 Vstar 1100 custom. Chromed out, bags & trunk, loads of extras and possible matching trailer. VERY PRETTY SETUP.
+/-15000 miles. Asking price is $5800.

Unfortunately it's 1.5 hrs away.

Questions
Is asking price too high for this year and miles

How many miles are too many for this type of bike (I know it depends on Maint. but assuming it was maintenanced on time/properly)

How hard is it on these bikes to haul a trailer

Anything to special issues look for when I see it in person

I want to avoid making an emotional purchase and since I haven't made a motorcycle purchase in a very long time I'm choking on pride and asking for advise and help... Please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:37 PM

wow considering all of that if it comes with the trailer 5800 is a great deal!

15 GRAND AND 15 MILES DOES'NT MAKE YOU A BIKER.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/61008833/Y...Service-Manual - A must for everyone the holy service manual..

*II[BLUE BIKE CLUB]II*

PAY UP
$$$$$
SUCKER
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:39 PM

The price seems high. He probably is just adding on what he spent for the extras. That's not the best way to come up with a fair price.

I believe Yamaha says not to tow anything with the 1100, but that could just be CYA on their part. I've seen tow hitches designed specifically for the 1100 (not Yamaha of course).

That's definitely not a lot of miles for its age.

(obviously, you are going to get differing opinions.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

KBB value for that bike is $3,830. the trailer would HAVE to be included for this to be close to the asking price. don't put too much value on accessories and after market parts as many sellers tend to do so. and don't putt too much value on how shiny and clean it looks because the owner polished it up.

would need to see a pic and listing of accessories and what kind of trailer it is to get a better idea if it is a good asking price. but without the trailer, i say no way. not for a bike that old and with a fair amount of mileage.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaling View Post

I want to avoid making an emotional purchase and since I haven't made a motorcycle purchase in a very long time I'm choking on pride and asking for advise and help... Please
Is it fair to assume that in avoiding an emotional purchase you've already decided that this bike suits you? It's carbureted. Is it big enough? As a Strat guy, that seems like such a tiny motor. LOL.

Has it been sitting? A lot? No matter how 'new' the tires are in terms of miles, if they've been on it for two years or more, figure on ditching them. After that, the ONLY thing that matters is how well it was maintained.

Pending a few details, it sounds way high to me and I'd just shoot myself before I EVER pull a trailer with a bike.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
Is it fair to assume that in avoiding an emotional purchase you've already decided that this bike suits you?
... it sounds way high to me and I'd just shoot myself before I EVER pull a trailer with a bike.

I look of the bike suits me... not necessarly "that bike" LOL... but maybe one just like it.

What's the issue with pulling a trailer occasionally? This may sound odd coming from a 51 year old but, My dad used to occasionally pull a cycle trailer behind his '98' Goldwing Interstate on long trips with no adverse effects.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. So what I'm hearing is, for a bike of this age and mileage one shouldn't spend more than
$3200-$3600 would that be accurate?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:

What's the issue with pulling a trailer occasionally? This may sound odd coming from a 51 year old but, My dad used to occasionally pull a cycle trailer behind his '98' Goldwing Interstate on long trips with no adverse effects.

Not a thing in the world wrong with it as long as nothing goes wrong. If something does go wrong, you're towing a trailer to exacerbate whatever the problem is.

Just personal preference. Riding a bike has enough hazards for me as is without adding a trailer to the mix.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
well 12.9K miles is less than 15K, and it is a good looking ride with some decent accessories, but for that price and the way the listing is worded it sounds like the owner is not including the trailer for that asking price. NO WAY is the bike alone worth $5900. hell no. don't care how good of a condition it is in. the bike was worth that much the second he rode it off the dealership lot. the owner seems to be asking full value of the accessories he put on it. that is the asking price and i'm sure there is room for haggling, but that's not even close to a good price.

unless the owner wants to come waaaay down, i say PASS.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Made my purchae to day ... Ended up with an "05" Royal Star Touring Deluxe. Picking it up Saturday morning. Very excited!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode