helmet?? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

helmet??

I know and I think you know that this is a common question among newbies to motorcycles but its really important for us.

I have a new bike and so helmet is the second this I should buy and it also required here in NC to wear one. It is also for my safety.

Can you suggest any brand of helmet? Or what style of helmet? I really want helmet that is well-ventilated so the temperature can be stable inside, not too hot and not too cold. So can you suggest any?

Suggestions, opinions and experiences are highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

helmets are all about personal preference. my best advice is to just go to a motorcycle shop or dealer and look at and try on a few.

there's the half helmet

the 3/4 helmet

and the full face helmet

if you're asking about which helmet is more ventilated, then it sounds like you may be talking about the full face helmet so you might have already decided on this one since the other 2 types are obviously more ventilated. so let us know if you're already leaning towards one or another. above features and ventilation, what's most important is that the helmet is stamped either DOT or SNELL and that it fits well.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 05:34 AM

Every helmet is shaped a little differently. Your best bet is to go to a motorcycle superstore and try on LOTS of different brands. Then go to your local store or online and get a better deal! Actually, I see from your other posts that you are in Charlotte. There are a couple of Cyclegear stores in your area and they carry a wide range of helmets. I've been to a number of their stores in multiple states and they have always been awesome to me.

Things to keep in mind when trying on a full face helmet (my personal helmet of choice):

When on the helmet should fit snugly - the foam padding will compress with use/age so it should feel almost too tight initially. It should sit square on your head. If it tilts forward or back it doesn't fit properly. The cheek pads should touch your cheeks without being uncomfortable. There should be no gap between your temples and the brow pads.

Once you have the helmet on and the chin strap done up move the helmet around on your head side to side and up and down. Your skin should move with the helmet. Can you roll the helmet forward off your head? If so then it is too loose. Try a smaller size.

After you take off the helmet are there any sore spots on your head? Is there red spots on your forehead? If so the helmet is either too small or badly shaped for your head.

Once you find a helmet you like, wear it around the store for a while. It needs to be comfortable for relatively long periods of time.

If you have the money I advise getting a Snell endorsed helmet. These helmets have been tested to destruction and are high quality. However there is usually a significantly higher cost factor and only a full face helmet will meet Snell standards (3/4 and half helmets have no chin coverage so automatically fail Snell).

Lastly, if you go to a store to try on helmets and the staff do not seem knowledgeable or get upset or annoyed at you wanting to try lots of different helmets, go somewhere else. You only have one head and it's important to get the best/most comfortable gear you can afford to protect it. Good luck shopping!

Last edited by M'Lady; 06-27-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 PM

M'Lady: first off, +1 for everything you said.

However, that sort of clear, concise and helpful information - completely without sarcasm - is viewed as poor form around here. Consider yourself on notice.

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 12:59 PM

I have a daytona 3/4 helmet... Supposably the smallest DOT 3/4 around..I believe it. Great ventilation as it's open faced. I like it.

I also have a daytona full face. Great for longer rides...The bugs and rocks to the face really get old after 2 hours Also nice for colder days.

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliente Pocket View Post
However, that sort of clear, concise and helpful information - completely without sarcasm - is viewed as poor form around here. Consider yourself on notice.
OH NO!!!!!! A 950 rider is giving me grief!!!! Guess I'll just blow right past him on the freeway Now I have to go microwave a Hot Pocket. I feel like having stomach cramps later
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Banned

It has been posted on here from at least one other member but:

A full face helmet is your best choice, the others being a fraction (1/2 or 3/4) of your best choice.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'Lady View Post
OH NO!!!!!! A 950 rider is giving me grief!!!! Guess I'll just blow right past him on the freeway Now I have to go microwave a Hot Pocket. I feel like having stomach cramps later
That's more like it.

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliente Pocket View Post
That's more like it.
I notice that you didn't have the "cc's" (not sure if you can say ba__s on this 4M) to give grief to our SuperMod for being clear, concise and sarcasm free

Ok. Thread jacking officially over on my end
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'Lady View Post
I notice that you didn't have the "cc's" (not sure if you can say ba__s on this 4M) to give grief to our SuperMod for being clear, concise and sarcasm free
Members of the Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club get considerably more latitude on these matters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in